Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Walking Around Fosdic Lake Pond Scum With Ducks

Fosdic Lake Covered With Green Pond Scum
It has been a few days since I last visited Oakland Lake Park to walk around Fosdic Lake. During my absence the layer of thick green pond scum has grown bigger and thicker.

The cold front that has blown in from the north has blown most of the Fosdic Lake pond scum to the south end of the lake.

The water that is not covered with pond scum had a black inky color to it today.

That cold front has made it unseasonably cold in North Texas on this 8th day of May. Only 68 degrees coming up on 3 in the afternoon.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Fosdic Lake when we get to the super HOT days of summer.

There are still a few ducks living on Fosdic Lake. Including a young mama duck and her brood of duck babies. I think I mentioned this family the last time I visited Fosdic Lake. The mama duck and duck babies were in the exact same location as the last time I visited them.

Mama Duck With Babies & No Baby Daddy Duck
Usually ducks, particularly mama ducks with duck babies, quickly waddle off when I get close. But, this duck  mama did not seem to care that I was taking pictures of her and her babies.

I think the duck mama may be a bit traumatized trying to raise her family on a lake that is quickly getting covered by green pond scum.

In addition to ducks, there were a lot of humans enjoying the brisk breeze blowing in from the north.

One lady lake walker had a little dog on a leash. The dog had had it's fur colored a very unnatural reddish-pink. I asked if I could take a picture of her unnatural looking dog. The lady said the dog was camera shy. I took that as a polite way of saying no.

No comments: