Thursday, May 3, 2012

May Day 3 Dawns Pondering Why Federal Grant Money So Easily Flows To Fort Worth

May Day 3 has dawned with just one tiny wisp of a cloud visible from my secondary viewing portal on the outer world.

Currently, at my location, the aforementioned outer world is heated to 68 degrees, headed to a predicted high today of 82.

Changing the subject from my current location to my old home zone of the Skagit Valley of Washington.

This morning I read an article in the Skagit Valley Herald that once again had me wondering why things are so different between my old location and my current one.

Construction began yesterday on a new road that will make it easier to get from Interstate 5 to where I used to live in East Mount Vernon.

Quoting from the article...

Of the $13 million cost, $3.5 million was allocated by local leaders through the Skagit Council of Governments, who borrowed ahead on future revenues to pay for this road upgrade.

Unlike an article in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram about something like the Trinity River Vision Boondoggle or Fort Worth's soon to open $3 million pedestrian bridge across the Trinity River, there is no mention of federal grant money. Or earmarks.

Maybe my old home zone didn't get the memo that you can beg the rest of the country for money to pay for public works projects.

Another difference is this new road in the Skagit Valley is a much needed improvement that will greatly help traffic flow, unlike an un-needed flood diversion channel added to an un-needed public works project so that getting federal money would be more easily facilitated.

It is time to go swimming now before it gets any hotter.

No comments: