Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Rainy Night in Tacoma BBQing Women

I think I mentioned, in the midst of yesterday's Blogging about my woeful day in Lacey, that I was looking forward to a Large Group of Lovely Women joining us for the evening last night.

The group of incoming females included Jenny and her amusingly dry-witted friend Elise (spelling may be incorrect). Jenny and Elise have a Blog that details some of the travails of their recovering little doggie. Jenny's mom was also here. Along with Jenny's mom's mom. I don't know how old Jenny's mom's mom is. She appeared to possibly be anywhere from 80 something to possibly over 100. What I do know for certain is Jenny's mom's mom fires on all cylinders and laughed at dumb stuff I said.

By the time the BBQ needed to be lit a Texas-worthy downpour was deluging us. So, of course, with me being the house Monkey Boy, I was assigned the task, sans umbrella, of lighting the BBQ and monitoring the cooking meat product. Despite the previous incidents of me slightly burning beef products.

During the course of the evening Kristin's mom, Janet, regaled us with detailed monologues about a wide variety of subjects.

Max & Blue each got a raw bone last night, which they enjoyed in the rain.

At some point in the evening Jenny and Elise verbalized alarm at a sharp bulge pointing out from my midsection. Their speculations as to what was causing the bulge ranged from it being a portable dialysis machine to more sordid speculations. They seemed slightly relieved when they finally got the courage to inquire as to what was causing the odd pointy bulge and I reached into my pants and pulled out a card that I'd stuck into my waistband.

It was the birthday card from my mom and dad that my mom gave me upon their departure for Phoenix, in which, she told me, was a handwritten special request for me. So, last night, despite my mom's prohibition against me opening this until my birthday, my little sister convinced me to go against my mom's wishes and open the card. I must say that my mom's prohibition against the pre-birthday opening was pretty much blown when my mom, asked yesterday, when we called her, well, Kristin called her (the phone doesn't get answered if I show up on the called I.D.), if I'd opened the card yet. I said no, you told me not to open it til my birthday.

So, I opened the card last night. In it was 60 bucks and a note from my mom to take Michele and Kristin and myself out for dinner for my birthday.

All in all, all things considered, yesterday was a good day in Tacoma. Despite getting soaking wet BBQing.

1 comment:

Lauri Evans said...

Listen Durango-Dude...the thang you light is NOT a Barbeque IT IS A GRILL. Barbeque is a technique of cooking pork (beef is you're west of the Mississippi)slowly, over hot, smoky coals.
It's a common mistake most rookies make, but I feel you will be grilled-to-no-end once you return to Texas.Just trying to help a friend.
xoxoxo lulu