Friday, August 1, 2008

Seeing Spencer Jack

That last time I was up in Washington was April of 2006. I had a primary reason to be here at that time, with the secondary reason being to attend the wedding of my oldest nephew, Jason to a sweet, funny, good-natured, likable, pretty young lady named Jenny.

About a year and a half later Spencer Jack was born, making my brother and my favorite ex-sister-in-law, grandparents. And my mom and dad great-grandparents.

My mom and dad were unable to attend the wedding. They have not met Spencer Jack. Nor have I.

Spencer Jack is so named because someone told my impressionable nephew that you can not go wrong naming your oldest kid after your richest relative. So, Spencer was given the same name as my ex-wife's last name. It's very confusing.

Tomorrow Spencer Jack's Great-Grandma and Great-Grandpa will see him for the first time. It will also be the first time Spencer Jack gets to meet his favorite Great Uncle. That's me.

We will be meeting Spencer Jack up in the Skagit Valley at a place called Bay View State Park. Spencer Jack's dad will be real busy tomorrow due to his Jason's Grub restaurant being in Anacortes and it being the weekend of the Anacortes Arts & Crafts Festival.

We currently do not know who is bringing Spencer Jack out to Bay View. It may be his Uncle Joey. Or my ex-sister-in-law. Or someone else. It'd be nice if Spencer's mom could bring him out if his dad was not available.

So where is Spencer Jack's mother in this picture? Well, I'm glad you asked. In a turn of events none of us saw coming, my nephew is in the process of being divorced from the adorably sweet, kind, good-hearted, nice girl he married.

I hope my nephew will someday be as friendly with his ex-wife as I am with mine. I've not seen my ex since the aforementioned wedding. She'll be there tomorrow. It's hard to get divorced in my family. They just don't let you go. I wonder if this has anything to do with why I moved to Texas?

No comments: