Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Collapse of the Wall

Big Ed, in Big Texas, this morning emailed me a link to a shocking story in the New York Times about the collapse of the Wall.

Wall Arch that is. In Arches National Park. One of my favorite places on the planet, of what little of the planet I have seen.

The last time I was in Arches National Park was shortly before I moved to Texas, in 1998, I think. We'd spent several days in Moab, exploring Arches NP and Canyonlands NP. It was a group of 6 or 8, hard to remember. From Moab we went houseboating on Lake Powell.

The first picture is from the New York Times showing Wall Arch before and after the collapse. When I was at Arches in 1998 the trail under Landscape Arch was no longer open due to a large chunk of rock falling from that unlikely fragile looking arch.

I am almost certain the above photo shows Wall Arch in 1998. That is Big Ed's Big Sister, Lydia, in the foreground, with his nephew and niece being followed by Big Ed's Big Twin, Wally and his little wife, Wanda. I believe that is Wall Arch behind them. I could be wrong.

The arch below is the aforementioned Landscape Arch. With Wally and Wanda and Big Ed standing in front of it. I just looked it up and it is still standing, 17 years after it lost a large chunk of its midsection. Some suspect the weight loss made the arch stronger.

There is a longstanding myth that Landscape Arch was supposed to be named Delicate Arch, while the state symbol of Utah, shown below, was supposed to be named Landscape Arch. I always believed this myth to be true, due to Landscape Arch looking so delicate, while Delicate Arch seems like an unlikely addition to the rocky landscape. Below is one of my favorite photos, Delicate Arch in the background, me and someone who's name escapes me right now, next to me. This picture and the one above it were taken with my now antique Casio digital camera. I bought it way back in 1997 for the appalling price of $599. I was young and stupid. But, I did take a lot of pictures with that old camera.

No comments: