Saturday, August 9, 2008

Lulu & Durango Cold & Wet in Lacey

I am getting behind in venting about the various things I'm being subjected to up here in the frigid Arctic zone of the Pacific Northwest.

I had agreed to go to Lacey with Lulu this morning. This was yet one more 6am departure. I've relied on the sun waking me up via the skylight directly above the 2 foot wide army cot I try to sleep on.

But, unbeknownst to me the sun was blocked by thick clouds this morning, thus ruining my alarm clock. I checked the time at 20 til 6 and realized I had a problem. Had to make coffee, drink it, make breakfast, eat it, take a shower and be ready to go in 2o minutes. I tried to call Lulu to stall her. No answer.

At 5 minutes til 6am Lulu calls me to tell me she is outside, ready for me to drive. I told her I needed 5 minutes. I rushed and made it out the door by 6.

It was raining. If the rain continued, in Lacey, we were gonna bail. But, by the time we reached Lacey the dripping stopped and we saw blue sky to the west.

We set up the tent and unpacked. All was well. This was at the Lacey Saturday Market, which occurs once a month. It was a nice location, but a small crowd, likely due to the bad weather.

We had wind gust woes. And then about 1 or so it began to rain. Hard. And then Lulu's first husband showed up on his Harley. I thought if only my sister and her crew would show up maybe I would have an escape. Right about then they showed up.

I escaped, leaving Lulu to fend for herself. I'd done enough. No more could be expected of me.

I was then drug into Olympia to an eating place where I had a Mud Bay Cookie. It was good. Then we went to the World's Largest Bead Store, Shipwreck Beads. This was no Texas Brag. It really is the World's Largest. After what seemed a day, we finally left the beads.

On the way back here, calling my Mom and Dad was discussed. It was suggested if I called they would not answer. So, I called. They did not answer. Then Kristin called and my Mom instantly answered. My feelings should have been hurt, but I'm used to this type treatment.

As we neared Tacoma I was told that my sister and Kristin were having a large group of lovely ladies over for dinner. All with varying degrees of lovlieness. I'm assigned the duty of being the token male.

It's just all too much.

Oh, Good Lord, just as I get relaxed into doing this Blogging thing, I am now being asked to go get a propane tank filled. Or something like that. So, thus ends this Blogging. With me in search of gas.

4 comments:

Lauri Evans said...

Durango you are such a trooper. First your parents and then Lulu and your sister....I wish I knew a man like you. Such a sweetie..... Do you have any similar friends in Georgia? I wished. Lauri @ Chippys

JP said...

Poor, poor Durango. How did you possibly make it through dinner with the large group of large women and all of our issues? I mean, we laughed at your jokes, refrained from commenting about your birthday card/portable kidney dialysis machine, and expressed our sympathy at the fact your parents won't answer the phone when they see your name on the caller ID. What else could you have asked for?

Durango said...

Thank you for your kind empathy, Miss Laurie.

And thank you for your kind empathy, Misses JP, for your sensitivity regarding that unfortunate pointy bulge in my mid-section. I thought your large group of lovely women was delightfully amusing. And I greatly appreciate you all laughed every once in awhile at the unfortunate things I find myself saying. And the sympathy regarding my parental units refusual to answer the phone when they see it is me calling was most appreciated.

Anonymous said...

I guess I'll remain anonymous, found you through Chippys. You are such a card (good thing). You're sort of like Felix (or Alex) whoever the grumpy anal one was. I guess if my parents (who sadly have passed) wouldn't take my calls I might be grumpy, too. Ciao.