Saturday, August 16, 2008

Puyallup Saturday Market & Tacoma Taco

Today I'd been led to think I was going on a ferry to Vashon Island to ride recumbent bikes. This morning the island turned out to be Puyallup and the bikes turned to talk of kayaks.

Puyallup is a town a few miles east and south of Tacoma. It's where the Western Washington State Fair happens in about a month. And on Saturdays, in a park a few blocks north of the fairgrounds, yet one more Pacific Northwest Farmers Market takes place.

One of the food vendors was a bakery. One of their baked goods was an apple fritter. A big apple fritter that they called "Huge Texin Apple Fritters." I pointed out that they spelled Texan incorrectly. I was told they spelled Texan incorrectly intentionally because they figured a Texan would spell Texan incorrectly. I told them I was currently living in Texas and that I thought it likely a majority of Texans could spell Texan correctly. But then again, I'm thinking I may be wrong about that.

Speaking of Texas, I wish Texas had decent farmers markets. The Dallas Farmers Market comes sort of close, but without the variety of produce I've seen at these Washington Farmers Markets. Today we got eggplant, basil, apricots, blueberries, cheese, smoked salmon, oysters, razor clams, shallots, bread, corn, watermelon, nectarines, peaches, cherries, pretzels and a Tahoma Taho.

Kids playing in a wading pool in the midst of the farmers marketing their wares.

Everywhere you go in Washington you see a lot of flowers. Planted in the ground or hanging in giant baskets. There were a lot of flower vendors at the Puyallup market today with a lot of people buying them and carrying around huge bunches of flowers.


People eating in the shade of a big tree by a sculpture called Two Hearts. Or something like that.

Kristin getting a Tahoma Taho, aka Tacoma Taco, aka Navajo Taco, aka Indian Fry Bread. I've had this made by an actual Navajo in Utah at a restaurant called the Navajo Cafe at an inn called the San Juan Inn, in Mexican Hat. They made great Navajo Tacos at the Navajo Cafe. The Tahoma Taho that Kristin got came slathered with butter, cinnamon and sugar. I had one bite. That was enough

No comments: