Saturday, August 16, 2008

Full Moon Lunacy in Tacoma

Five days til I return to the relative sanity of Texas.

Last night I got a dose of the relative insanity of Tacoma. The moon was full. The Mountain was out.

Throughout history it has been noted that Lunar Maximus heightens behavior oddities, hence the term lunacy.

Last night Lunar Lulu and her first husband came over for BBQ chicken and liquor concoctions that tasted like cough syrup mixed with melted cherry lollipops.

Lulu pretty much gets drunk on anything that has sugar in it, so if you mix any sort of alcohol into whatever Lulu is drinking she quickly becomes inebriated. You mix a Full Moon into the drink and you've got yourself some entertainment.

Last night the fascinating party conversation revolved around my apparent (unknown to me) myriad of ticks and anxiety ridden behaviors. And my poor personal hygiene that evidently renders me seriously malodorous.

Yes, this was really highly elevated conversational repartee. I never get this sort of intellectually challenging witty repartee when I'm in Texas. Everyone is nice to me in Texas. These people in Washington are just downright mean and ill-mannered. Very disturbing.

At one point I was ordered to remove the shirt I was wearing and replace it with a souvenir shirt from Washington, D.C. I did as ordered and modeled my D.C. t-shirt that has license plates from all 50 states on the back that phonetically spell out the preamble to the Constitution.

As in the plate for Alabama says, "WE TH", Alaska, "P PUL", Arizona, "OF TH", Arkansas, "U NI", California, "DIDD", Colorado, "ST8S", Connecticut, "INNOR", Delaware, "DUR 2", Washington D.C., "4M A", Florida, "MUR PUR", Georgia, "FEC UNE", Hawaii, "NONE"....well, you get the drift. I hope. Lulu tried to sound out the license plates, but I don't think she knew what it was she was sounding out.

Lulu regaled us with stories of dumpster diving. Including an incident this week at the Goodwill reject store where someone was rummaging through used shoes, along with Lulu, when a shoebox was found and opened in which hundreds of dollars were stored that somehow spilled out in a way that caused the dozens of other dumpster divers to descend on the shoes to grab their share of the loot. Lulu made off with about $75. Which she used to buy more Goodwill junk.

I found the flying Goodwill money story a tad difficult to believe. How was it that that shoebox had not been opened before?

Yesterday it got up to about 90 here. The same is expected for today. There was talk, yesterday, of a ferry ride to Vashon Island and the riding of recumbent bikes. I fear the Full Moon may be wreaking havoc with those plans.

In the meantime, it's only 5 days til I'm back in Texas where people are nice to me. And are extremely well-mannered with genteel hospitality and know how to say "howdy."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I have been traveling to TX at least twice a year (yup, Round Top) and you are right the folks are great in TX. Always friendly and would never tell you that you reeked. For what it's worth I don't think you smelled bad. Messin' with your head is what I think. Some people get off on that. Hurry back to TX!!!!