Monday, August 11, 2008

My Mount Rainier Birthday Present

Usually I don't get any birthday presents. I don't expect such things. I usually get a card from my favorite aunt and my mom and dad.

But today I got the best birthday present ever. All my years living in Washington I'd never seen Mount Rainier up close. Except from the air.

All the past times I've gone to Mount Rainier National Park, hoping to see The Mountain, it's been cloudy.

But today Kristin, Kristin's mom, Janet, and I went to Paradise in Mount Rainier NP. We hiked a bit towards The Mountain. Made it to Myrtle Falls.

The Mountain sort of teased us with a little exposure.

And then to the oohs and aahs of all watching, The Mountain appeared in all its glory. I had no idea this is what it looked like from the ground level vantage point, up close.

In the photo above you sort of see Kristin sort of waving her arms on the wooden bridge over the top of Myrtle Falls. With The Mountain behind her.

The second photo is Myrtle Falls, without Kristin waving her arms, and with The Mountain partly exposed.

I drove the entire loop through the park, entering at the southwest Nisqually entrance, exiting at whatever the north exit/entrance is called. I'd forgotten how adventurous mountain highways can be.

A fun day. And now I'm being ordered to eat pie. Demanding women.

2 comments:

Lauri Evans said...

OMG, those pictures are amazing. It doesn't look real. Would love to have been you...Hope you have a happy birthday, how old are you anyway???????Lauri @ chippys

Durango said...

That was a lot of unreal scenery today. I've not looked at the video I took today. I hope it came out as good as the pics. As for my age. I think I'm 39.