Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Happy Mom & Dad & Hiroshima Anniversary

If my math is correct, and it often isn't, today is the 63rd Anniversary of the dropping of an A-Bomb on Hiroshima, hastening the end of WW II.

Six years after the dropping of the first A-Bomb my mom and dad got married. Which makes today, again if my math is correct, mom and dad's 57th Anniversary.

The last time I experienced Hiroshima Day, in person, with mom and dad was in 2001 for their 50th. That event was not actually held on August 6, due to that date being in the middle of the week.

Instead mom and dad's 50th was held on August 11. Which happens to be my birthday. No one, but 2 of my nephews, knew I was going to be up here for mom and dad's 50th. I drove myself north and arrived late for the party.

Precisely one month after mom and dad's 50th Anniversary party the events of 9/11 unfolded. One month after that they were in Texas for their one and only visit.

Today all of my sisters are taking mom and dad out for lunch in West Seattle at a place called Dukes. I don't remember if I was invited or not. I'll be heading towards Olympia today while they are all having fun without me.

I'll try and remember to wish the parental units a Happy Hiroshima Day.

1 comment:

Lauri Evans said...

Well well well I've marked my calendar noting August 11th as a day of vexed, umbraged celebratory jam making to honor YOUR BIRTHDAY. That was very clever...
safe travels.
oxox lulu