Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Dallas Cowboy Stadium Scandal Part 8

The Dallas Cowboy Stadium Scandal has sort of faded from my memory. I don't remember when I last drove by the new stadium.

The Dallas Cowboy organization was in the news this morning due to announcing plans to build a parking lot west of the stadium. I assume they have successfully bought the houses to do so. I know months ago there were a few holdouts and the City of Arlington made clear there would be no more eminent domain abuse by the city on the Dallas Cowboy's behalf.

This morning I got feedback from someone in Austin who thinks what was done in Arlington was a perfectly legit use of eminent domain. But then the guy didn't know how to spell eminent, so, I'm thinking he likely could not explain how it is properly used. The feedbacker also thinks the new stadium will be a huge economic engine for Arlington, generating jobs and new money.

Somehow that type revenue generating boon didn't happen where the Dallas Cowboy stadium is currently located, in Irving. It's a bit of a blight around the stadium. In all the years that stadium has sat in Irving it hasn't spawned hotels or restaurants or much of anything that I've seen.

One of the feedbackers comments was really wrong-headed. And I've heard it stated before in various ways. That being that the area where eminent domain was abused was crime-ridden. And thus deserved to die. This "crime-ridden" area had many homes in which people had lived for decades. People tend not to remain living in crime-ridden areas. And right in the midst of this "crime-ridden" area sits one of the nicest Super Wal-Marts I've ever seen. I don't think Wal-Mart builds its more high-end Superstores in crime-ridden areas.

The feedbacker does not understand why Jerry Jones gets demonized when it was the people of Arlington who voted for this stadium. However, the part about using eminent domain was not on the ballot. Jerry Jones has been demonized because he has shown absolutely no sympathy for the thousands of lives his private business disrupted.

Anyway, below is the feedback from a guy in Austin. I didn't fix his misspellings below. On my Eyes on Texas website version I did fix the misspellings....

There was an election on this issue right? So if a majority of the community thought that the stadium was a good idea, then why are you demonizing Jerry Jones? The people who are unhappy that they were forced out should be complaining about their neighbors, not the tam and its owner.

The city of Arlington figured that putting a revenue-generating stadium in the place of a crime-ridden neighborhood would be a wise move. The new stadium will bring in new money for local businesses and new jobs for the pepole of Arlington. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. This is what emminent domain is all about, and I don't see any "abuse" in this case.

James
Austin, TX

No comments: