Friday, March 6, 2009

Illuminating Luminarias in Fort Worth

A few days ago I verbalized my curiousity about a long gone restaurant at the end of Ben Avenue on the western edge of the Tandy Hills, high on a hill, facing downtown Fort Worth.

I eventually learned that the original restaurant was a Mexican place called Luminarias.

I have been unable to find a photo of the original restaurant. But I have found a photo of the view from the restaurant in its Fort Worth Cattle Drive iteration. At least that is what the claim is, but to me the view does not look to be from a high enough perch.

In addition to the photo, I came upon an interesting discussion about the long gone restaurant. I'll copy some excerpts of that discussion....

A guy calling himself "mattaken" asked about a restaurant he remembered from when he was a little kid that his parents told him was a steak house that was expensive.

To which someone calling himself "seurto" replied:
You'll probably get a lot of replies on that question. I believe the last incarnation was The Fort Worth Cattle Co. which was, obviously, a steakhouse. I believe originally it was called Luminaras and had a few changes in between. Considered one of the best views of downtown you had to get to it off Lancaster. It was a cool place and I believe the story goes that the original owners tried to buy out a pig farmer whose land was connected, but he wouldn't sell, so supposedly there was some "ambience" that came with it.

To which "Phil Phillips" said:
Yes, I remember the pig farm. Also, smelled it every time we came into and left downtown in the 60s. The pig farm was between the hotel and the Twin drive-in and was gone by the time the restaurant opened. The restaurant had a great bar on the back with large windows and the downtown view. I was there last in the mid 80s. The lack of access is what killed it.

Which had "chellomy" saying:
I don't remember the pig farm but I do remember both the smell and that the sewage treatment plant back then was in present-day Gateway Park between Beach and Oakland. I always assumed the odor came from down there.

Which had "mattaken" thanking the above for their replies, saying:
It's funny to hear about the pig farm. In this day and age it's hard to imagine something like that being so close to downtown. Does anyone remember how long ago the building was demolished? It looks like the parking lot/foundations are still there.

Then "FWFF'r" answered:
I don't know when it was demo'd. I remember it best when it was a fairly hot night spot called Calamity's.

"John Cirillo" like me, is wanting a photo:
Just to clarify further, the last incarnation was called Fort Worth Cattle Drive Restaurant. The old Cyberrodeo website from 1996, which is still floating around in Google's cache somewhere, listed it as "Steaks, seafood. Elegant." It's funny, there are several restaurant sites on the web that still list this restaurant. Be the first to review it. Does anyone have a photo of this place in any incarnation? It was one of those places I always passed but never thought to snap a shot of.

And then we hear from someone, "Papaw" who ate there:
I don't have pics but had several good meals there. The view was really neat and the food was very good. I had a hell of a time finding the place the first time.

"Buck" then tells us the restaurant was owned by the same company as Baby Doe's in Dallas. Baby Doe's was also difficult get to, was also on a bluff, very visible from the freeway, also with a very good view of downtown and also is out of business.

Then "lonzer" chimes in confirming again the Calamity's incarnation (originally mentioned to me by the Old Man with the Cane, walking in the Tandy Hills):
I do remember it being called Calamity's when it first opened but it went through several different name changes after that. I don't know what it was by the time I moved to Austin but I remember it as Calamity's.

"Mother Earths" mother worked there:
My mother worked there as a cashier when it was called Luminaries. I ate there once or twice and the main thing I remember was that the windows all faced west, giving a great view of downtown. However, the sun was blinding in the afternoon and evening which made me not want to return even though the food was good, in my opinion. I hope whatever is built there next has a little more thought behind the design. I am pushing for an ecovillage to be built on the site.

And "wren" mentions being there during a storm:
Once when my husband and I ate there a huge storm blew up. There was a lot of rain and lightning. I don't remember what I ate, but the storm was awesome to witness. I'll never forget the sight of lightning bolts flashing through the sky and lighting up the skyline. It was a beautiful sight!

"Birdland in Hand" is another person who had trouble getting there:
Location, Location, Location--but hard to locate?!? I remember going there for a special family get-together in the early 70's; in its first incarnation, Luminarias. It was frustrating--so visible from I30 but so puzzling to get to. I remember mom & dad got lost, but, fairly soon got there. (And the view was great!) I think some owners may have invested eventually in a billboard telling people on 30 the route to the restaurant. I suspect that was not enough without a convenient exit and straightforward route; thus all the restaurants failed.

"redhead" also had trouble finding it and provides some interesting details:
We lived in Arlington in the mid-80's and had to go to DTFW for something late one afternoon. We had always talked about eating at Calamity's, and decided just to do it...had a hell of a time finding it, and when we did, there was a fairly long wait. I remember that behind the building, there were paths to multiple fire-pits. So we waited outside with our own private fire-pit, drinking adult beverages until we were called to a table...nice memories...Oh yeah, we had gone to court to get married.

The above all came from a discussion in the online Fort Worth Forum. Now, someone, somewhere must have a photo of Luminarias.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

LUMINARIAS ah the memories.. I frequented the place as much as my wallet would allow. A real hill side "hide-out" with great food in the go-go eighties..
The place was handicapped by being located way down a winding trail off Lancaster accessable by dodging the troubles that the surrounding neighborhood was experiencing.Almost no way you could just get there without detailed directions. I understand it was owned by a young man from California who would not sell the land later as it had some significance to his mother. They made a big deal of mixing honey mustard dressing for the salad table side..big deal back then,,the chips and everything good..
Many a cool night out in summer on the hill near the fire pits. Jacque
speaks of the place also. Most Eastside folks miss the old spots..never to be seen again..
Sometimes wonder what a house the place would have made..but it was in shambles by the time it was offered for sale..

Anonymous said...

The restaurant was owned by Specialty Rest. Corp that also owned Baby Doe's and 94th Aero Squadron in Dallas. I was GM of Luminarias when the concept was changed to Calamity's. Great food but as many mentioned, almost impossible to find. Lots of memories there.

Wayne Thorn said...

One of a medium sized list of things that I never managed to do during what have truly turned out to be the wonder years. I said it many times. "We are going soon!" Thorn

Unknown said...

How about El Campo restaraunt Arlington heights school lena pope home was right there. Green oaks inn.cattle ranchers alwsys came and still do towill rogers. Movie "there will be blood. House on camp bowieand scott st. And eagle mountains where in azle earth quakes remember steven king on tv about that abandoned hospotal in the late ninties. Im on a Holy Spirit roll thank god i didnt stay with travis ave.although i livre right by it dos gringo blood sacrafoce. My dad born Ides or march 1941 adopted at birth. Black market baby adptions. What hppened to edna gladney . Blood in the sewage 75 year old sewers blood inthe dirt. I never resd bible much but i took jesus at 8 yrs old. My parentz monarch mind controlled hippies . I got green eyes brown hair strong irish blood . Born a bastard child my dad had trophies from drag racing. Cattle thieves came to fft worth cattle auctions bunch of movies about this shit . Other grand padents native american wiychraft women indians again masonic warlocks

Bulletholes said...

I started working there as a busboy in May of 1975, the day after I graduated High School. I ended up Head Chef a few years later.
Every time the millionaire owner would fly in from California I would tease him that he out to know better than to build a california restaurant on the side of a texas hill. And he'd laugh at me. Then two years later, I came in one morning after it had been raining for days, got my cup of coffee , went over to the window to look at downtown before starting work (which I did every day) and I got to the window at looked down and the patios were covered up in a mudslde and half the hill was gone.
I just had to laugh.
Somewhere, there is a leggy ex-waitress with a branding iron in the shape of a heart I pulled off the wall. If you see her say hello, kiss her once for me.

Unknown said...

That was my most favorite place to take a date for dinner or just to sit at the bar. People that complained about the Sun blasting through the plate glass window behind the bar should have just put their sub glasses on and deal with the time for the sun to set. The regular customers never complained. The view was great. My favorite table side dish was the house salad made at the table with the mustard dressing made at the table also. At that time, I was just retired from the Air Force when the Navy base in Fort Worth was Carswell AFB.
I also was a night manager for a while at Shakey's Pizza Restaurant on Alta Mesa Blvd. We had a fabulous bar there called The Ole Pub with a lot of regulars every day and night. That was the 2nd full service Italian restaurant for Shakey's ; the first one being on the strip in Addison (north Dallas Area). In 1980 I got married and left Shakey's for greener pastures but had a lot of good times. Walked to work from the La Parissenne apartments located right behind Shakey's on Woodway.

Anonymous said...

I grew up mere blocks from this place. We would go to eat there as a family for special occasions. I guess for people who weren't from the area it would have been hard to find but I grew up riding my bike on the streets near it and the hills surrounding it so it didn't seem hard to find to me. It started out as Luminarius and ended up as Calamity's. I had friends later on when I was a teenager and early 20s who worked there. I recently drove my girlfriend to my old neighborhood to show her around and I took her there because, even though she was from Dallas, she remembered seeing it on the hill when she would travel down 30 going somewhere in Fort Worth or passing through the area. The building is gone and just the weed and trash strewn concrete is all that is left.

Anonymous said...

I’m looking for their Honey Mustard recipe. I used to have it but lost in a move. It is so good. It was served as a salad dressing recipe.