Friday, March 6, 2009

River Legacy Reptile Encounter & Dallas Cowboy Stadium Name

I had my first encounter of the new year with a large reptile this morning at River Legacy Park. I had to be in Arlington, again, at 10am, so a morning bike ride seemed to be the thing to do.

I saw no Wild Boars today, but I did get startled, coming around a turn, by a large mammal. On the second time around I stopped to talk to the large mammal. She was Blonde. I asked if she'd seen a Boar. She had. A solo one and it was big. She'd only been walking at River Legacy Park for a couple months and she's seen a Big Boar.

I've been biking at River Legacy for years and only learned of the Herd of Boars last week, followed, within days, by seeing the Herd in motion. I asked if the Blonde, Bobbi, had seen a Bobcat. That seemed a logical question after learning her name was Bobbi. Blonde Bobbi said she'd not seen a Bobcat, but she was prepared. She showed me her can of pepper spray. I told her she was safe from the Bobcats, but the pepper spray was a good defensive plan against other predators in the park.

I'm guessing you can guess that my large reptile encounter was with a Turtle. He/She was a cute one in really good shape. Sometimes you see Turtles that look like they've had a rough life. This is the time of year when Turtles and Armadillos wander where they should not be wandering, looking for love in all the wrong places, often ending up as roadkill. Which in these troubled times could provide a struggling family's protein needs for the week.

On initial encounter, today's Turtle retreated into its shell, but quickly got over its shyness and posed politely for closeups.

I did the mountain bike trail loop 3 times. That is over 15 miles. The pool had warmed up a lot by this morning, so I comfortably swam for about a half an hour. No need to warm up in the hot tub. The water will be even warmer tomorrow morning, because we are in the 80s again. So, between the swimming and the biking and talking to Turtles, I've had me a day.

Anyway, like I said, I had to be in Arlington again, once more by the new Dallas Cowboy Stadium. No one has wanted to fork over the bucks to name the thing. Some have suggested temporarily naming it Salvation Army Stadium, due to Jerry Jones' longtime philanthropic endeavors helping the Salvation Army. I forgot how this scheme benefited the Salvation Army monetarily.

When I saw the new stadium today I was coming at it from the west on side streets. It looks so weird how it so hugely looms over all these little old houses, like something from outer space touching down in a poor American neighborhood. When I came to Collins Street I pulled into a CiCis Pizza parking lot to snap the picture you see here.

Having just had that reptile encounter at River Legacy, I looked at the stadium today and realized what it is that I've never been quite able to identify that it looks like.

Today it was obvious. The building looks like a turtle. I think it should be named Turtle Stadium. That's real catchy.

After driving by Turtle Stadium it was on to Sweet Tomatoes for lunch. Today's most memorable item was an unusual salad of spinach leaves, mint, strawberry, banana, peach, other fruits and a lemony dressing. I didn't think I'd like it, but I went back for seconds.

No comments: