Saturday, November 8, 2008

Swimming Does Not Make Me SAD

I've noticed the telltale signs that SADness has begun to take its annual toll on those in the gray, wet, cold Pacific Northwest.

Seasonally Affected Disorder (SAD) is also known as winter depression or winter blues. Those affected with SAD may sleep too much, have little energy and crave sweets and starchy foods. In other words, being SAD can make you fat.

When I was up in Tacoma, this past summer, I felt SAD almost from the time I landed. By the time I was back in the air, a month later, I was really SAD. It took about a week of Texas sun and heat to put an end to my SADness.

You people who live with SADness need to get yourself to some sunlight. Drive over to Eastern Washington. It's usually sunny there. Or get a sunlamp. And get yourself vertical and go do something physical outside, even though it's cold and raining. That's what long underwear and umbrellas were made for, to keep you warm and dry.

In Texas I never experience SADness, likely for a variety of reasons. Including, everyday I go swimming, early in the morning. The low this morning was 41, at midnight the temperature was 52. When I went swimming this morning it'd warmed up to 48. It's a bit past 10am now and it's 65. I think by the time I got out of the pool it was in the 60s because I was able to warm up in the sun, as you can see in the photo.

1 comment:

Cupcake Parade said...

Yes, I think this my be affecting me.
Today it is pouring down rain and I am feeling compelled to eat Pixie Stix and Sugar Babies.