Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Gas Gets Down To $1.89 In My Neighborhood

Yes, $1.89 is the new low in my zone of Fort Worth.

I remember in July of 2001, my last road trip back to Washington, filling up in Amarillo for $1.19. Gas remained in that range through Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and Idaho. But then I needed gas in La Grange, Oregon. I was appalled that it was $1.79.

I figured it was so high in La Grange due to the town being up in the mountains and out in the middle of nowhere. And that it'd be cheaper in Washington. So, I only got enough gas to get me to Washington. And soon learned gas was even higher in the Evergreen State.

On the way back, a month later, gas was now $1.41 in Amarillo and people were grumbling about President Bush. I don't recollect what he'd done at the time that had people blaming him for the gas price jump. 9/11 happened a week or so later, with most of us happy with how George Bush handled that. For awhile.

And now gas is almost back to being at pre-9/11 prices. Likely actually lower if inflation is factored in.

One personal note of how this drop in gas prices is affecting me. When last I talked to my mom she told me with the newly cheap price of gas they are thinking of taking a road trip to Texas again. I hope they don't plan on making any raspberry jam. We don't have raspberries in Texas. Not that I know of.

1 comment:

Lauri Evans said...

Careful what you wish for, oh-gloating gas-consumer
xooxxo lulu