Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Texas Burger Guy & Kincaid's Hamburgers

A few days ago I blogged about a Fort Worth Sacred Cow, Kincaid's Hamburgers, and how I'd never understood the burger worship this place gets and my pleasure at reading others were also perplexed, with a poll showing that there are a lot of people who have thought that this particular Emperor had no clothes, while everyone seemed to be admiring his attire.

Then I got a comment from my most frequent commenter, Anonymous, chastising me for my demonstrably bad taste, after he had trusted my supposed rave review of Zorro's Buffet, to the point that he and his wife went to Zorro's one Friday night, with the subsequent discovery that I have very bad buffet tastes. I felt really bad when Anonymous told me he felt he'd thrown 20 bucks down the drain by following my misguided words.

I feel so bad about it that I'd happily send Anonymous 20 bucks if I only knew his last name and address. Or maybe Anonymous is his last name, I'd need the first name, in that case.

In the interest of fairness, and that really is what I am all about. Being fair. There is a website run by this guy, Texas Burger Guy. He goes around Texas writing very extensive, very detailed reviews about non-chain, Texas burger joints and the burgers, fries, onion rings and other stuff these places produce. The exception to the non-chain Texas burger joint aspect is a review of a McDonald's in Arkansas. Why not a McDonald's in Texas? I don't know.

Texas Burger Guy pretty much gave such a rave review to Kincaid's Hamburger it almost makes me want to give the place a 3rd chance to appeal to my demonstrably bad tastes.

Below is part of what Texas Burger Guy had to say about Kincaid's Hamburgers burger (go here to read the entire review and see pictures of burgers, fries, onion rings and the restaurant).....

Since the very first time I started discussing the TexasBurgerGuy concept with people - EVERY person I spoke to said I had to try Kincaid's in Fort Worth. They claimed it was hands down the best burger joint in Texas. That is a mighty bold statement. Obviously with such high expectations, I was prepared for a royal letdown. I am happy to report that Kincaid's definitely lived up to at least part of the expectations. They do have without a doubt the most unique atmosphere I have EVER witnessed in visiting various burger joints. I'll talk more about this later. As for the burger... mmm mama... it was a big, thick, juicy, 2-handed monster that made me remember why I enjoy traveling around the state enjoying mom and pop burger joints.

4 comments:

twister said...

I've never had a Kincaid burger, so I can't comment on how good they may be. I went there a couple years ago to try them out and the two guys behind the counter acted like they weren't interested it selling me their main product, i.e. hamburger. They must have been only children, or something. I've heard that Fred's Cafe makes a good burger. Diners, Drive-ins and Dives did a segment on them. Google fred's fort worth to find them.

Durango said...

I've had others mention this Fred's Cafe place of which you speak. I was not pleased, either, with the counter service at either of the Kincaid's, the original Camp Bowie one or the one in Southlake.

I was in Phoenix for a 10 hour lay over, on the way back here. My sister took me to an In & Out. I'd seen them in California. I knew their cult rep. I'd never had one. I'd already been eating, at an Applebee's Happy Hour. But that In & Out burger was so good I had two. Was miserably stuffed by the time I was back on a plane. Luckily, no one else was in my row, so I could lay down once we were in the air. I go way out of my way to have in In & Out burger if that opportunity existed in this zone.

twister said...

I wish a fast food joint like In&Out with an almost mythical following would come to the metroplex. That and Trader Joe's. If they did, you gotta know, it'd be in Dallas.

Durango said...

Trader Joe's would be a very good thing. I dunno, Trader Joe's could show up in Fort Worth first. Both Central Market and Costco showed up in Fort Worth before spreading to other parts of the Metroplex. I remember when the Costco opened I was really happy to go there, but wondered how the Costco concept would work here. I was not pleased to walk in and find Costco had been Texasified. I mean, there were saddles for sale as soon as you walked in the door. And no sushi or coffee roaster. Then one opened in Southlake that wss more like the Costco's where Costco started in the Seattle zone.