Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Only Child Syndrome Strikes Again

Like I've said before, every day a lot of people, from all over the world, come to this blog looking for relief from Only Child Syndrome.

The OCS Sufferers leave a lot of comments. The past couple days a lot more people than usual seem to be seeking relief.

Among the comments there have been a few who deny the existence of Only Child Syndrome. I consider these people no different than Holocaust Deniers.

Last night I got a real good comment to one of the many Bloggings I've written about Only Child Syndrome. The commenter was my most ubiquitous commenter, "Anonymous."

Below is what Anonymous had to say....

I deal with an only child every day. She is one of the rudest, most manipulative individuals I have ever had the misfortune to meet. She's continually sulking and brazenly insulting towards coworkers and disrespects her supervisors behind their backs. And, in spite of this, and her own admission that she is known to be a troublemaker, she would emphatically deny having OCS. I am just continually flabbergasted by her lies and manipulation tactics. How do they even bear to face themselves in the mirror? Amazing...

I feel your pain. You seem to be dealing with an extreme case. Does yours spew out the rude remarks, and then when you, or anyone, says anything slightly similar in return, the OCS pitches a fit? It's as if the OCSers somehow have completely convinced themselves that they have their own set of rules, while insisting others play by the OCSer's rules.

Like the 550 pound overweight OCSer can say to a healthy weighted co-worker that she looks like she's put on a few pounds. If the healthy-weighted co-worker then says something like, "uh, I really don't think you should be making comments about anyone's weight," the co-worker's perfectly appropriate remark sends the OCSer into fit mode, saying something like, "you are being so mean, making a veiled reference to me being fat."

It really is an amazing and weird phenomenon to experience. That is best avoided if you can.

No comments: