Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Texas Air Pollution Alerts And Dangerous Nitrogen Tanks

Every Wednesday on my way back south from Southlake, and Sprouts Farmers Market, I see two Air Pollution Alert signs on the west side of Davis Boulevard. I don't see any Air Pollution Alert signs on the east side when I'm heading north.

What perplexes me is wondering what the purpose of these two signs can possibly be. What is one supposed to do with this alert? Watch out for incoming Air Pollution?

And why are these two Air Pollution Alert signs the only two I've ever seen? These signs are in North Richland Hills. Are they all over North Richland Hills? The only other North Richland Hills road I have driven on lately is North Tarrant Parkway. I saw no Air Pollution Alert signs on that road.

The two Air Pollution Alert signs on Davis Boulevard are within about a half mile, or less of each other. Maybe that stretch of road is extra polluted, thus the signs.

There is another disturbing thing I see each week on Davis Boulevard. It is between the two Air Pollution Alert signs. About 6 feet from the side of the road there is this big metal tank that says "Nitrogen" on it. Above the tank there is a sign that says "Danger."

Today I had resolved that I would get pictures of the Air Pollution Alert sign and the dangerous Nitrogen Tank sitting along side a busy, heavily polluted road. When I saw the Nitrogen Tank up close and personal, I could read what was written below "DANGER"....

FIBER OPTIC CABLE ROUTE
CITIZEN ACCESS TO 911 OR OTHER
EMERGENCY SERVICES MAY BE
INTERRUPTED AND YOU WILL BE
SUBJECT TO CIVIL LIABILITY AND/OR
CRIMINAL PROSECUTION IF YOU DIG,
TRENCH OR PUSH PIPE IN THIS
VICINITY BEFORE GETTING PERMISSION

Well, that cleared that up. Near as I could tell, the Nitrogen Tank is being used to help hold up the DANGER sign. Probably because a proper sign hole could not be dug without damaging that fiber optic cable. One would think something could have been found to accomplish this other than a Nitrogen Tank that looks a bit foreboding sitting 6 feet from the curb with a big ol' DANGER sign above it.

So, that's been my exciting day, so far, this fine Wednesday in Texas. Despite forecasts that said otherwise, we will not be hitting 100 today. Maybe tomorrow. At least I will sleep better tonight, now that I've sorted out what that disturbingly dangerous looking Nitrogen Tank is all about. But, then again, I do still have that Air Pollution Alert to worry about. I'll probably sleep anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well.... You are an idiot!
The sign and nitrogen tank have only one thing in common...The cable that allows phone and INTERNET service to go to all the good people in the area!
Nitrogen is not a Air Pollutent...It makes up about 80% of the air we breath... Really!
In the case you show in your post, it is used to keep moisture out of the copper and fiber cables used for phone and INTERNET services. Since it is an inert gas, it also does not promote corrosion on the cable parts underground.

The Phone man!