Friday, June 12, 2009

Humidity, Oakland Lake Park & Pineapple

I did not have insomnia last night. I was up early. In the pool early. On the computer early. And by noon I had to get out of here. Oakland Lake Park was the only place I could be sure would be dry enough, after our recent deluge, to allow mostly damp-free walking.

I'd forgotten about the rain-caused jump in humidity that follows a storm. As in it is only 90 out there, but the Heat Index makes it feel like 96. It felt more like 106, to me.

That's Oakland Lake on the other side of the trees in the picture.

I got back here, turned on the A/C when I walked in. And then took a cold shower. That helped.

Yesterday at the Hong Kong Market, in Arlington's Chinatown, I got a pineapple. I'm making a Canadian bacon/pineapple type thing for lunch. This is the best pineapple I remember tasting since year's ago when my, now deceased, Uncle Ivan, showed up where we were staying, near San Fransisco, with 2 fresh pineapples that he'd brought back with him from Hawaii.

So, that has been my exciting day, so far, this Friday, about half way through the day. I see a lot of typing and picture scanning in my future for the rest of the day. And some very very good pineapple. As soon as the rice gets done cooking.

3 comments:

Tonasket Tootsie said...

What exactly did you make out of that pienapple sir? Might want the recipe.

Durango said...

I know not what this pienapple item you mention might be. Perhaps you are referring to pineapple? If so, I cook brown basmati rice in the rice cooker. While that's cooking I chop up an onion, some celery & red pepper. I open a can off Italian stewed tomatoes. I mix in a little olive oil, turbinado sugar, garlic and basil and oregano with the tomatoes. I chop up some ham and dice up some of the fresh pineapple. When the rice is done I throw all the other stuff in the pot and mix it all up. Dish it up and sprinkle on some parmesan and its lunch. You could have come to lunch and watched these complex preparations.

Tonasket Tootsie said...

Little late now. Next time send me some. Dry ice it and Fed-X.