Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday Morning Texas Skinnydipping Before Church With President John Quincy Adams

It is 10 am, Sunday morning. The humidity is at 64%, the temperature is 80. The Heat Index is 83. We are gradually burning off the excess moisture that has us being way too humid here in my zone of Texas.

Yesterday, when the Heat Index was 104, I went in to Wal-Mart. It was like walking into a refrigerator. Icy. And then walking out of the refrigerator, back into the hot, humid air, it was instant sticky. I am not a fan of instant sticky.

I did my usual Sunday morning skinny dip later than usual. Which made the moon a bit more faded than normal and the sun a bit brighter.

I'm always getting asked if I have had any embarrassing skinnydipping incidents. The only one I can think of was at my previous abode, the meter reader showed up in the back yard while I was au naturel. I think the meter reader was more embarrassed than I was.

Did you know one of our Presidents was a skinnydipper? John Quincy Adams liked to take a daily skinnydip, weather permitting, in the Potomac River. John Quincy had a couple embarrassing skinnydipping incidents.

One involved a female reporter named Anne Royall. Adams had over and over again refused interview requests from the woman, she being the first female professional reporter in America. When Ms. Royall learned that Adams skinnydipped in the Potomac virtually every morning at 5 am, she went to the river, waited for the President to get in the water and then sat on his clothes until he answered all her questions.

Another time, while the President was skinnydipping in the Potomac, a bum stole his clothes. President Adams stayed in the river for almost an hour, til he saw a boy walking by. He hollered at the boy to go up to the White House and ask Mrs. Adams to send down a new set of clothes for the President. About 20 minutes later the boy came back with a servant carrying clothes for the President.

I don't know if President Adams continued his Potomac River skinnydipping after that. I suspect he continued.

2 comments:

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

That's a delightful yarn about Adams...some might get ideas. I was wondering though, since your dip was later in the day, wouldn't the "moon" actually be more visible?

Durango said...

Some of the moons may have been more visible, the celestial one, however, was fading.