Friday, June 12, 2009

Microsoft XP Update Headache

I used to get headaches all the time. But, somehow moving to Texas cured that. Yesterday I could not have told you the last time I had a headache. And then by late in the afternoon, I had my first headache in a long long time. And now, 24 hours later, another headache.

I used to so regularly get headaches I just assumed one would arrive whenever I was doing something fun. Like both times I went to Vancouver's Expo 86. Splitting, blinding, throbbing headaches. And then the drive back to the U.S. You don't know fun til you drive from Vancouver, south to the border, past midnight, brain in going to have a stroke mode, to find the border crossing you chose to use, closed at midnight, requiring a multi-mile detour to get to another crossing.

And now on to a more metaphorical headache. Microsoft and its relentless Windows XP Updates. They are automatically downloaded. You get that little notice that Critical Updates are Ready to Install. I look at the 5 or 6 Critical Updates and each says something has been discovered that may allow some rogue force to take over my computer.

The only rogue force that has taken over my computer has been Microsoft.

The last time I chose to ignore the update notices, I'd select 'Cancel." Figuring I'd install the Critical Updates when it was convenient. A couple days go by, Microsoft continued to nag me. Then, in the middle of the night, my computer woke up. Microsoft had taken control of my computer and was installing the updates!!!

To me this would seem to indicate that Microsoft is the problem from whom I need protection. I had several programs open. All gone when the computer was restarted.

Who are these people who are finding ways to exploit security breeches and supposedly take over random computers? Why would anyone want to do that? If there are people doing such things, why not go after them and leave my computer alone.

I should not have even started this blogging. My headache is now much worse.

1 comment:

twister said...

That's too bad. We all, as we age, find ourselves inhabiting shelters exhibiting varying degrees of disrepair. I think you know intuitively that fresh air, dappled sunlight, and moderate exertion is its own kind of tonic. Have a good day and don't let the little foxes spoil the vine.