Sunday, June 21, 2009

Close Look At The New Dallas Cowboy Stadium

When I left here to drive to the Hong Kong Market in Arlington's Chinatown it did not cross my mind that I might be seeing the new Dallas Cowboy stadium up close for the first time.

After I got my goods at the Hong Kong Market I headed north towards the Wal-Mart Supercenter that sits across from the new stadium.

There has been extensive roadwork in the area around the stadium. I have been through this area since the stadium had its ribbon cutting, but at that point access to the new roads was still blocked.

So, I was a bit surprised to see I could take a left on to the new bridge that crosses Johnson Creek. That's what you see in the first picture, with the Stadium dead ahead.

My next surprise was I came to a new intersection with a wide boulevard. These new roads serve to funnel the traffic to the multiple parking lots that surround the stadium. I took a right at the intersection. I was surprised that I was driving so close to the east entrance. I could see cars were parked, people were wandering about.


So, I joined them. Over the past 4 years I've watched the stadium grow, starting with piles of rubble from destroyed homes and apartment buildings. My usual vantage point to look at the construction was the parking lot of the Wal-Mart. That's the Wal-Mart parking lot, today view, of the new stadium, in the above picture. Make note of that big arch coming out of the stadium. We'll get right up to it from the other side in the next picture.

Looking under the northeast supporting arch anchor at the Super Wal-Mart across the street.

In the above picture I'm standing on the plaza outside the east end zone, where Jerry Jones is planning to let people stand during a game for about 30 bucks. What we are looking at at the end of the plaza is the world's biggest sliding glass door. During a game the sliding panels can be opened, conditions permitting.

The above picture was taken through one of the glass door panels. You can see one of the world's biggest flat panel TVs and some of the seating. But you can't see the playing field. It is well below ground level.

There were people walking all around the stadium. This view is looking north from the east end. Parking lots were open, making it easy for the people of Arlington to see what they helped pay for.


Here we're looking at the south side roof support arch and the giant chunk of cement that it is anchored to. Watching these arches get built, piece by piece, eventually meeting up with its counterpart from the other side, was an interesting engineering feat to get to observe.


A close up look at the arch roof support on the north side. The two arches hold up the massive, movable roof and the hugely heavy giant TV screens. I really would like to know if earthquakes, of the type we have been shaking with here in North Texas, were factored into the design.

Like I've said before, the new stadium is not in a very nice location. Industrial, commercial and residential squalor sits on its south and west sides. However the view to the north and east is not eyesore/squalor material. In the picture above we are looking east at the Ballpark in Arlington. That is where the Texas Rangers play this game named baseball. That orange thing to the left of the Ballpark is the Titan Hypercoaster at Six Flags Over Texas.

Also, from the same location as where we were looking at the Ballpark in Arlington and Six Flags Over Texas, you can look north, across Interstate 30 and see Six Flags Hurricane Harbor. Because all these attractions are in such close proximity is why this is called Arlington's Entertainment District. It will soon be an even more cohesive entertainment district when 3 very elaborate new bridges connect the north side of I-30 with the south side.

Well, in the next picture we are back on the other side of Randoll Mill Road, heading into the aforementioned Wal-Mart. Make note of the baseballs on the building. There are a lot of baseballs stuck on this Wal-Mart, that sits directly across the street from the world's biggest football stadium. Methinks Wal-Mart needs to add some footballs.

I have to say, as much as I have criticized what was done to build this stadium, there is no denying the fact that up close it is one impressive structure. During the construction phase a high fence surrounded the property. I was very surprised to see how totally open it now is. There is no fence. Anyone can easily walk on the property and check out the stadium. Several parking lots were open, allowing anyone to drive right up to the monster and walk around. The landscaping is still a work in progress. A lot of grass sod appeared to by dying and in dire need of water.

Speaking of water, I was surprised by the water features. At the parking spot at the far end of the east end zone plaza there is a water wall, that's about 100 feet long and 6 feet tall. People were using it as a photo spot. On the other side of the water wall, leading to the plaza there is a long rectangular reflecting pool.

Summing up, if you are in D/FW zone and are curious to see the new stadium, you needn't be shy, just drive right up and check the thing out.

And below is the YouTube video I made in which you can see some of what was done to build this stadium. I'd not looked at the video comments for awhile. There are 3 pages of them. I'll see if they are blog worthy. Some commenters are so totally clueless that it's very amusing...

1 comment:

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

The pics are lovely and it truly is a magnificent stadium. I'm wondering, after Katrina blew away the 9th ward in New Orleans; the projects...Nagin refused to have them rebuilt...sending many of those former residents to Houston to stay...i know it's not eminent domain, but it seems the same...changing the economic landscape of an undesirable place.