Sunday, June 21, 2009

Texas Skinnydipping With Alligators

Usually I am the only one dipping skinny in the pool in the morning. This morning was an exception to that rule.

A reptile that looked like a small alligator, with no clothes on, was in the pool skinnydipping.

This was not the first time I've shared water with a reptile. I think I've mentioned previously that I was swimming in Lake Grapevine, on a 110 degree day, in a No Swimming Zone, when a huge reptilian head popped out of the water right in front of my face.

I thought it was a water moccasin. I swam for shore at a speed I did not know I was capable of. I reached the shore and ran out on the metal floating dock, forgetting how hot that metal would be on my bare feet. By the time I got to the end of the dock I saw that it was not a water moccasin that was trying to kill me, it was a giant turtle of some sort.

It is a myth that turtles can't move fast. In water they are little speed boats. I was at Oakland Lake Park and came upon a big turtle, startling it. The turtle took off running for the water at a speed I did not think them capable of.

So, that has been my exciting day, so far, this Father's Day, Summer Solstice, Naked Hiking Day in Texas. It is half past 9, only 81 degrees, heading to a high near the century mark. I'm heading to Arlington's Chinatown some time this morning. I need supplies.

Below is an educational YouTube video about skinnydipping. I did not know, til today, that the proper term for skinnydipping, when the person swimming sans swimsuit is overweight, is "chunk dunk."

2 comments:

twister said...

A ten foot long, four hundred pound 'gator was injured and eventually killed by game wardens on the east side of fort worth. google alligator site: star-telegram.com to see the news story.

Durango said...

Thanks for the info, Mister Twister. I did not know about the alligator incident. Made for good blogging material to start the week.