Monday, June 29, 2009

Hiking To The Top Of A Fort Worth Mountain While Thinking About An Oklahoma Lake

That's the noontime view of the stunning skyline of beautiful downtown Fort Worth from high atop the summit of Tandy Mountain.

As you can see, we are under a cloud cover. We will not be feeling 100 degree heat today. The humidity has gone back up, so it felt hotter than the chilly 83 degrees.

I've been webpaging the Grand Lake o' the Cherokees, Beavers Bend and Broken Bow Lake up in Oklahoma today. Anyone been to any of these places and have any opinions they can share?

I had no idea there were big dams up in Oklahoma, as in Pocatello Dam that makes Grand Lake is the longest multiple arch dam in the world. It's almost a mile long. That is one long dam. And Grand Lake has 1,300 miles of shoreline. That is a lot of shoreline. I've seen the lakes in northeast Oklahoma and parts of Arkansas from the air and was surprised by how many there were. Now I want to check out Grand Lake on the ground.

Speaking of Oklahoma, yesterday on the History Channel I watched a documentary about the Dust Bowl. I had no idea it was so horrible. The dust and drought were bad enough, but then came the plague of locusts and then jackrabbits got out of control. The whole eco-system got out of whack. I didn't know that one of the dust storms reached as far as New York City. Or that the area affected included North Texas.

The dust here in Texas is one of the few things about Texas that I don't like. The west side of Washington is not dusty. Eastern Washington is much more Texas-like, dust-wise.

I forgot to mention, there is still some color on the prairie in the form of wildflowers. I saw several today whilst hiking the Tandy Hills Natural Area trails.

So, that's been my day so far this Monday in Texas, up early, in the pool for a long time, virtual trip up to a cool lake in Oklahoma and a colorful hike at noon.

No comments: