Thursday, June 18, 2009

Tandy Hills Lightning Bug Fire Fly Potential Expedition

I was promised 100 degrees today. I don't like being misled by the weatherman. I get all looking forward to it being HOT and then it's not. As HOT as I expected.

I think I mentioned earlier today that I got up around 3 am. This is making for an interesting day. Around noon I headed to the Tandy Hills Natural Area to be natural for an hour or so.

It was only about 88, the humidity made for a Heat Index of 94. But it was windy. I think a Wind Chill Factor should be figured in to the calculation. Because the wind was making for an almost chilling effect, every once in awhile, when a good gust would hit my drenched in sweat, long-suffering body.

That's the today view of downtown Fort Worth, in the picture above, as seen from the Tandy Hills jungle. I was told today that last night the Tandy Hills jungle came alive with Fireflies. The last time I saw Fireflies was years ago at River Legacy Park, pedaling the paved trail with darkness setting in towards the end, with hundreds of Lightning Bugs lighting the way through the darkness.

The first time I saw Fireflies was at a Concert in the Garden at Fort Worth's Botanic Garden. The theme that night was Star Wars. The flashing bugs darting about fit the theme perfectly.

If I remember, maybe tonight I'll drive back to the Tandy Hills Natural Area and see if I can see some bright bugs and get pictures or maybe video.

4 comments:

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

I hope you remember because I would love to see a video...last time I witnessed a fire fly event was many summers ago down in Mississippi, around the pink azaleas at Momo's and Popo's abode. Truly magical... that's when I still believed in fairies and pixies and wanted to live in Never Never Land. :)

Durango said...

I'm a bit on the tired side this afternoon. Maybe I'll put off the firefly expedition til tomorrow.

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

No worries, I'll be here all week :)

Tinasket Tootsie said...

Hun, I call them lightning bugs. Saw oodles in Al and Ms. In northern Mn. I caught them as a child. Please send me a bunch. Thanks!