Monday, June 8, 2009

The Earth Quakes In Cleburne Again

Go here for the latest Cleburne Quakes.

We've had ourselves another earthquake here in previously earthquake-free North Texas. The latest quake struck the Cleburne area, again, for the second time within a week.

The epicenter for the latest shaker was around 11 miles southeast of Cleburne. The magnitude of the latest quake was 2.6 and relatively shallow at around 3.1 miles, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The quake struck at 5:56 pm, Sunday. A couple dozen people have reported feeling the earth move.

I don't know how many earthquakes I have experienced, which indicates I have experienced a lot of them. What people don't know, who have not been through one, is that even though a 2.6 sounds like it must not be much of a quake, if you are near the epicenter, trust me, you know you're going through a seismic event.

The big quakes that make big news, the 7.0 magnitude quakes, those do damage over a large area and are felt over an extremely large area. I remember a 6.5 magnitude quake, the epicenter was southwest of Seattle. I was 60 miles north of Seattle. The ground where I was shook violently for about 30 seconds. The house felt like it was coming apart. I was in the house with my mom. We ran outside. Everything was moving.

Several years later I lived in the town of Mount Vernon. We went through a period of quakes, centered about 3 miles east of my house. The quakes were in the 2-3 magnitude range. I definitely felt those quakes. One time I was watching TV when one hit. Quakes are very noisy. My windows all popped as if something had hit them. The whole house moved. One of those quakes caused a crack all across my tiled kitchen floor. For another of those quakes I was laying on my waterbed. That bed turned violent and almost tossed me to the floor.

The 2-3 magnitude quakes that I experienced were very shallow, which helped to make them more noticeable. I don't remember how deep they were, to be able to compare them to these North Texas quakes. I'm guessing the Texas quakes are deeper, or people would be talking about popping windows and cracked floors and foundations.

Anyway, I'm hoping we are not heading towards a Big One here in North Texas, that all that fractured, formerly solid, Barnett Shale isn't heading towards some critical point where a massive geological event is triggered. In earthquake zones big buildings are designed with earthquakes in mind. The new Dallas Cowboy Stadium was designed before Texas started having earthquakes. I wonder how it would handle a 2.8 quake shaking the ground under it?

There was an earthquake during one of the last games in the now dead Kingdome that scared a lot of people. Ken Griffey Jr. signaled for his family to get out of there. I don't remember if the game was stopped or not. The cement arches that held up that dome made people nervous even before the Kingdome opened. I don't think I'd want to be in the new Dallas Cowboys Stadium to experience how well those roof arches hold up during a quake. I think Arlington has had 2 of this year's Texas quakes, if I'm remembering right.

No comments: