Thursday, June 4, 2009

Microsoft's Bing Launch Flickers

This morning I was looking at my blog stats and saw someone had come to the blog, for the first time, via Microsoft's new search engine called Bing.

I'd not seen Bing, so I clicked on the search string Bing link to see what the person had been searching for in Bing that landed them on my specific blogging about A Big Foot Sasquatch in Georgia.

I think maybe Microsoft should have done some more Bing Tweaking before having last night's Bing Launch Party in Seattle, because the person from Kathleen, Georgia who was searching for info using Bing was looking for "big breasted woman in georgia" when Bing directed the searcher to this blog, which comes up #2 in Bing when looking for a big breasted woman in Georgia.

I was curious how my webpages did in Bing. In Google my webpage about Turner Falls Park in Oklahoma always comes up near the top. In Bing it didn't show up at all.

I was really not liking Bing at all at that point.

Then I looked up some of my other pages that Google does not rank as high as I might like, like Googling for "state fair of texas" usually shows up on the second page. In Bing that page was #4. I'll go see what it is currently on Google. I went 9 pages deep without seeing my State Fair of Texas webpage, then decided to look at the first page again, figuring must have missed it. I had. The fair page is currently #5.

So, I guess, other than what Bing does with Turner Falls Park and Georgian breasts, it does a good enough job, but might not be quite ready for prime time.

From what I read about Bing's Launch Party it would seem it may have been launched prematurely too. The Bing Launch Party took place at Fisher Pavilion at the Seattle Center. Around 100 Microsoft marketing people were there, plus some press people. The press people were a bit non-plussed, wandering around wondering when the event would start, not realizing it already had.

The lighting of the Space Needle was turned off. Normally the Space Needle glows in the darkness. Instead of a glowing Space Needle a bright bluish point of light took its place. This had people concerned that the Space Needle had burned out. Others thought it was a bright light beam coming from above.

The view in the picture is looking across Elliot Bay from West Seattle. That little white thing just to the right of the blue beam is the over 600 feet tall darkened Space Needle.

Few could see that a blue light spelled out BING in the grass in front of Fisher Pavilion.

Apparently the Microsoft marketing people planned a big event and then forgot to tell people it was going to happen. Then again, apparently the mysterious blue light did get people talking and people like me blogging about it this morning. Those Microsoft people are such crafty little devils.

Any of you reading this who are from Fort Worth who are wondering if that water feature you see in front of the Seattle skyline was the result of a Seattle River Vision, the answer is no. That water feature was provided naturally by Mother Nature, no rivers were altered, no use of eminent domain was abused.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I live in Seattle and blog - never heard of this before. Funny. didn't even get covered on the late news at KOMO, the ABC affiliate. The studio is directly across from the needle,as you may know.

Perhaps because it's still light up here until nearly 10pm - and from the looks of things, it was pretty dark when they turned on their spot light. Most folks were already in bed?

Or - who cares?

cb