Monday, July 21, 2008

Tacoma, Lulu and Pick-Quick

I started off the day feeling exhausted from a bad bout of insomnia. The pine-scented air of Washington is having its predicted effect on my feelings of well-being.

Some time before noon Lulu dropped in. I then chauffeured us to one of my favorite joints, that being Pick-Quick in Fife. That's a little town between Tacoma and Seattle. Lulu bought me lunch. She's trying to fatten me up. She was also trying to buy me new pants today, saying mine don't fit anymore.

Quick-Pick makes really good burgers. I had their basic cheeseburger. It comes with real fresh tomato slices straight from a Washington farm, same with the onion. And then there was the fresh strawberry shake. Also made with fresh strawberries straight from a Washington farm. Unfortunately, for me, blackberries aren't quite ripe yet.

Quick-Pick and other burger joints in Tacoma and Seattle area towns are one of the reasons I was perplexed whilst in Fort Worth by the fuss made locally over what seemed to me to be a very pedestrian burger joint called Kincaids.

At Quick-Pick you can eat outside at their park-like area, with many picnic tables and multiple giant hanging baskets of flowers. Often with Mount Rainier as your background. But, not today, the mountain was not out due to a heavy layer of marine air. That is sort of a high fog, not quite clouds. This has now burned off and it's clear blue sky out there.

And no longer cold. I was very cold this morning. It is now 63 here in Tacoma coming up on 2pm. I see you've hit 100 this afternoon down in Fort Worth.

I'll try and get back to Quick-Pick the month I'm here and try and remember my camera. And hope the mountain is out.

No comments: