Wednesday, July 23, 2008

It's Cold In Tacoma

I'm on Day 4 of my temporary exile in Tacoma. I've seen The Mountain once. On Monday. It's been pretty much overcast, for the most part, since then. And cold. Very cold. It is only 59 outside right now at almost 2pm. Meanwhile, looking at WeatherBug, I see Fort Worth is nearing 100. Your sky there is likely blue, with an orange tint, not this dreary gray I'm being subjected to. At least it smells real good outside, I suppose I should be grateful for that.

The photo is the view from my sister's backyard. I took this photo just a couple minutes ago. The photo probably gives you a chill. The grayest skies you've ever seen are in Tacoma, but the bluest skies you've ever seen are in Seattle. I guess. I need to go 25 miles north to Seattle.

I did not bring cold weather clothes with me, mostly because the last time I was up here in summer, that being the summer of 2004, it was clear sky and lows in the 70s the entire month. To compensate for the lack of cold weather clothes I am currently wearing the only pair of long pants I packed, under those I have jogging shorts and under the jogging shorts I have boxers. I've got 3 t-shirts on with a long sleeve sort of cold weather shirt on top. And I'm still cold.

The first day here my sister told me she thought it was too hot in the house and she wanted to run the A/C. Most people here don't have A/C. With good reason. But the 3rd floor loft of this place, supposedly gets hot, hence the A/C units. It was so cold in here that first night I had to find a thick comforter to throw on the bed to try and stop the shivering.

I went to Lulu's this morning. She had her windows open. And she was running her furnace. These are the type things that cause us to call her Lulu. I asked her why she was running the furnace with the windows open. She said she wanted to take the chill out of the air. We went downstairs to her basement and stood by the furnace. That was pleasant.

Lulu informed me I am going with her to Battleground on Friday to set up for a show on Saturday. I must acquire some cold weather clothes before then. Lulu and I went dumpster diving at Goodwill and St. Vinnies today. I guess I should have done some clothes shopping there. Lulu bought a broken aquarium and a rusted tv tray. She says they'll bring a lotta bucks. She paid $5 total for the junk. It didn't seem worth that much to me. Apparently I don't know the proper value of junk. That or I'm too cold to think coherently.

No comments: