Friday, July 18, 2008

The Dark Knight: The Jokers Gone Wild

I can't remember the last time I bought a movie ticket. One of the benefits of having a website that gets a lot of visitors is sometimes you get freebies. Like I've got a season pass to Fossil Rim Wildlife Center that I've never used.

Yesterday I got 2 tickets to the IMAX Theater in Dallas (Cinemark 17, LBJ Freeway at Webb Chapel Road), along with a big bucket of popcorn and 2 large Cokes.

The new Batman movie, The Dark Knight, is IMAX worthy. If you can, see it in an IMAX venue.

Before I say anything else about The Dark Knight, let me get this out of the way. Heath Ledger will win this year's Best Actor Academy Award. There, you heard it here first. Ledger's Joker is no Jack Nicholson. The Dark Knight Joker is a total psychopath, who calls himself an agent of chaos. Basically this Joker is a terrorist.

This Batman movie has a very strong post 9/11 angst about it. With the Joker being a sort of one man Al-Qaeda. At one point the Joker broadcasts video of himself performing an execution, ala those we've seen on our TVs courtesy of Muslim extremists.

There is a lot of very graphic violence in The Dark Knight. At one point the Joker rams a pencil into a victim's head. I don't know how this movie managed to be rated PG-13 rather than R.

The Dark Knight runs around 2 and 1/2 hours. Unlike many overly long movies, The Dark Knight did not wear out its welcome. I can not remember the last time I saw a movie this good.

I predict, along with Heath Ledger's Oscar for his pathetic, scary, creepy, funny psychopathic Joker, that The Dark Knight will be the biggest Hollywood Blockbuster in a long long long time and probably win an oodle of Academy Awards in addition to Heath Ledger's.

A Dark Knight Movie Trailer....with the Joker.....UPDATE: The video may no longer work. YouTube seems to be deleting all the Dark Knight Batman movie trailer videos.

1 comment:

TXsharon said...

I can't wait to see it! After raising two boys, I've given in to the whole comic book thang.

Did you know that Texas has the highest elect. prices in the nation? 40 times the national average for part of May per the WSJ article I posted on my blog. Say, "thank you." to Phil King.