Monday, July 7, 2008

Texas Ant Invasion Episode 4

This morning's ant invasion came in 2 parts. First thing this morning when I went in the kitchen to make coffee I was greeted by a sink full of Sugar Ants.

I'd emptied and not replaced my can of kitchen safe ant killer. So, I had to manually exterminate the sink invaders.

An hour later I was peacefully sitting in my living room when I noticed a wall moving. This was on the opposite wall from last week's living room ant invasion. Following the trail, I saw the ants were invading via the front door and were hugely massed there. They then went up the wall and made a path where the ceiling meets the wall. That path continued about 40 feet, to the fireplace, where the ant trail went back to ground level, behind the TV, where the trail met up with the ants coming in.

Near as I could tell the ant invasion was going in a vicious circle to nowhere.

I desperately needed ant killer. My first impulse was to run across the street to Albertsons. Then I remembered the huge arsenal of insect killer cans that my nearby Puerto Rican had. So I called her and she did have a can of ant killer.

So, I ran over to her place as fast as my legs could carry me, got the can, got back here and got to killing ants. The extermination took about 2 minutes.

I don't know what is making this year's ants so invasive. Maybe it's the drought.

I Googled for any info as to how to deal with invading Sugar Ants. I learned that Sugar Ant isn't their scientific name. To ant experts they are known as Pavement Ants.

No comments: