Friday, July 18, 2008

Zorro's Big, Fat, Texas Buffet

Ever since I blogged about Zorro's Buffet, last month, my blogstats indicate that it's one of the most clicked on postings I've written. Today I found out why. My blog comes up #1 when people Google for info about Zorro's Buffet. Ahead of the actual Zorro's Buffet website.

So, this morning I got a message from someone who thought I'd "badmouthed" the place. Which I hadn't. All I said was if one were to judge the quality of the food by the quality of their website one might have cause to be cautious.

It seemed obvious to me that the person writing this was not a man and his wife out for dinner, as the writer claimed, then going to such lengths to wax poetic about the place. I figured it had to be either the owner or their ad agency or some other flak. The person suggested I try the place before passing judgement.

So, I said, give me lunch for 2 and I'll give Zorro's Buffet a try for lunch today.

I was told to tell the check-in person that I was Durango.

I took along a buffet expert, Big Ed. We got to Zorro's a bit past 1. The parking lot was pretty much full. Eventually found a place to park. Walked inside. Zorro's is huge. Walked up to the cash register, said, uh, I'm Durango. She said, we've been expecting you. She handed me a drinking glass and a knife and fork wrapped in a paper towel and told me to sit anywhere.

Found a seat, then found the buffet. Zorro's buffet is huge. The first thing I noticed, that I really liked, is Zorro's addressed my #1 buffet pet peeve. That being having to touch all those serving utensils that others have already touched. Usually they're sticky. I always find a napkin to use as a sort of glove. Sometimes it can be difficult to locate a napkin. But Zorro's has napkin dispensers at each buffet table. This should be a universal practice.

Today was Seafood Day. I tried a crab cake, but there was way too much cake and not enough crab. The grilled shrimp were very good, as was the salmon. The fried fish was catfish. Yuck. BBQ baby back ribs were smoky and meaty. The Zorro's grilled chicken was well done, like I like it.

The salads were all good, for the most part. The carrot salad would have been perfect, but there were those little type marshmallows in it. I don't care for that. There were 2 types of cole slaw, both good, a wilted spinach salad, that I liked. And several others I didn't try. The potato salad was not your usual buffet type, with too much mayo. It was made with red spuds with the skins on. Zorro's makes very good potato salad.

One thing that was a good thing, is every time I went back to the buffet there'd be something new. Like one new thing was a mixed seafood noodle dish, with clams in the shell lining the edges and lots of little shrimp in the sauce. It was nice and garlicky.

That's another thing. Most buffets, of the type that try and appeal to the masses, shy away from adventurous seasoning. Zorro's does not shy away. Some were quite adventurous, like a pasta salad that I thought was tossed with some sort of greenish pesto sauce, but instead the green turned out to be from cilantro. That was quite tasty.

I'm not a dessert eater, but there were quite a few dessert choices, including hard ice cream. I did have a dish of flan. It was very good.

So, is Zorro's Buffet the best buffet I've ever been to? No. Is it better than Golden Corral? Oh, by a long shot. Would I go again? Yes. But not anytime soon. And how did Big Ed like it? Well, you'd have to go all the way back to 1995 and the Luxor Buffet in Vegas, when Big Ed so overstuffed himself that sweat balls were popping out of his forehead, after which Lulu's first husband decided we were all Buffet Sluts. The name stuck.

4 comments:

The Whited Sepulchre said...

I drive past the place 4-5 times a week, but have never gone inside.

Thanks for the info. Will check it out.

Tell Gar hello for me.

Anonymous said...

Hi Durango,

Glad to see that you took my advicea and tried Zorro's. My wife and I are both foodies and we understand what makes food taste good and what little touches it takes to make a meal sing. We used to live in New Orleans where the motto is "Most people eat to live, we live to eat." So, even though I "waxed poetic" about the food, it was in an effort to show you that there are a lot of little things that this place does right.

Just like you, I thought their web page was less than it could have been, but since we drive past the place somewhat regularly and it is ALWAYS full of service trucks, we figured we would give it a shot. I am a maintenance supervisor in a local school district and have nothing to do with the ownership of the buffet. I have no idea who the manager is, or who the owner is, etc. My wife works at Tarrant County college, about 2 miles from Zorro's. I was off work last Thursday and asked if she wanted to try someplace new and we thought of "that new buffet place we keep seeing."

From there, you know what happened. We went and were very impressed. We were still talking about how good the food was this Sunday and almost went there again. For us, that's saying something because there are so many good mom-and-pop places and we only eat out once/week so we don't eat at one place more than about every two to three months.

Anyway, glad you tried it and liked it, we sure did.

Later,
Dempsy (and Kathy)

Gar said...

Now, I'm gonna have to go peruse through your blog and see if you've inadvertently bad mouthed another restaurant. I can maybe scam a free meal out of it. "Hello, I'm Durango, I was told I could eat for free here."

Tell TWS hello for me :).

Anonymous said...

A friend suggested the place to my wife and I, so we took the kids for Sunday brunch. (Like the little heathens we tend to be, we hadn't been to church that morning so we beat THAT crowd by 10 minutes.) Good thing, too, cause the place was soon packed with a line out the door and a velvet rope to stall the incoming herd.

Anyway, our buffet-for-four total was less than $35. (My friend and her daughter, whom I refer to as "my niece" were with us but paid separately.) A good start. Zorro's is now working a base hit single with me.

My first look at the buffet reminded me of some of the more expensive ones I've visited in Vegas. This one was just as impressive to the eyes with mountains of freshly cooked, mouthwatering steaks, ribs, sausages, vegetables, fried chicken, home-made mash 'taters, green beans, greens, corn, tater salad, and- well, your starting to get the picture. There were real, professional looking "chefs" behind the counters preparing and placing the food in it's locations! I believe that one of the best ways to tease a taste-bud is to display the meal in a way that appeals to the eyes which increases the desire for it ten-fold. They did this and then some! (Zorro's is easily continuing around the bases for a double.)

I sat with my first plate of prime rib, fried chicken, mashed taters, green beans, and macaroni. The rib just melted in my mouth! The chicken, taters, and beans and mac n cheese were like one of my grandmas used to make! I washed it all down with some delicious iced tea and said to my wife "Can you believe how good this is?" My wife is not a big eater but she was busy gettin her "grub-on"! She just nodded her response, behind that beautiful smile of hers, and kept on chewing. My usually talkative kids were locked onto their pizza and chicken wings like their lives depended on it. My youngest just gave me a thumbs up and kept right on chewing, too. (Zorro's is easily rounding third base and making a case for a home run, all that's left is... dessert.)

My wife noted how small the dessert bar was but that didn't stop any of us from sampling it. It had chocolate cake, bread pudding, and a couple of others. My niece had her eye on the bread pudding. She came back to the table with it and took her first bite and, immediately, her eyes got wide and she said "OH-MY-GAWD!" which got all our attention, she continued "You have got to try this!" I don't even eat bread pudding but I was blown away by it! (For the record, I did try the cake and it was very good, too.) Because of the smallish size of the dessert buffet, Zorro's had to slide to reach home plate but with my family it definitely gets a HOMERUN!

If you think, I'm kidding, when my wife and I were going over our budget for the month of August we unanimously included a trip to Zorro's. In fact, we're taking some friends with us and going back this weekend! (Payday is today, baby!!!)

I'm sure that someone will find room for improvement with the place but we've only been there once, so far, and we intend to sample other nights over the months to come.

Happy eating!

-KJ