Thursday, April 10, 2014

I Am Almost 80% Certain Today I Found A Texas Bluebonnet In Arlington's Village Creek Natural Historical Area

A week or so ago I was on the Tandy Hills and took a picture of what I thought to be the State Wildflower of Texas, that being the ubiquitous Bluebonnet.

I put the picture of what I thought to be a Bluebonnet on this very same blog you are reading right now, which then had someone called Anonymous commenting something along the line of "You clueless, ignorant Yankee, have you not spent enough springs in Texas now to be able to know a Bluebonnet when you see it?"

This comment totally destroyed my limited confidence in my wildflower identifying ability.

Today, en route to getting coffee and other stuff at ALDI, I had a quick visit with the Indian ghosts who haunt Arlington's Village Creek Natural Historical Area. There I saw a patch of what I think may be authentic Bluebonnets.

That is that about which I speak, above.

To my uncultured eyes the above wildflower looks pretty much like the one I saw a week or so ago on the Tandy Hills. I may have made the same mistake, again, and the above is not a Bluebonnet, but is the same wildflower I saw on the Tandy Hills.

I really think it would be helpful if the Texas wildflowers came with labels....

No comments: