Friday, May 15, 2009

Only Child Syndrome & The Mommy Playbook

Yesterday I blogged, again, about Only Child Syndrome. I'd seen a lot of people coming to my blog via searching for help in dealing with the syndrome.

And then I saw one of the relief seekers had come from a website called "The Mommy Playbook." I then visited "The Mommy Playbook" to discover a forum in which someone had started a thread titled "Too Hot to Touch" in which one of my bloggings about Only Child Syndrome was copied in its entirety. Which set off a lot of Mommys commenting.

There were several amusing comments to what I had to say about Only Child Syndrome. Below is one of my favorites...

I've never understood the need to have a huge celebration when it's someone's birthday.

On the subject, I think the author is a wee bit cranky, but does make some valid points. I've known some only children that were just awful to be around. I've also known only children that grew up to be wonderful, well-adjusted adults.

It totally has to do with parenting. I think yes, it probably takes a lot of work on the parents' part, but is well worth it to the child's future.

This article made me think of one horror story of a friend I had who was an only child and fit that description completely. Her parents made her the center of their world and she completely thought, and still thinks she is the center of the universe. I really hope I don't make the same mistakes.

The above is correct. The author was a bit cranky when he wrote about Only Child Syndrome. He'd dealt with the disturbingly bizarre behavior of one of the worst of the breed and was trying to figure out what causes such twisted, self-centered, irrational behavior.

Strange thing, in "The Mommy Playbook" thread about Only Child Syndrome I saw no link to my blog. So, how did this website show up in my stats as having a link to my blog? It's perplexing.

No comments: