Thursday, May 14, 2009

Hot Hiking & Canton First Monday Trading Days

This is Thursday and it is not raining. My one longtime reader might remember that means there is a good chance I went hiking today at the Tandy Hills Natural Area. My one longtime reader would be correct.

Slightly warm today and not very breezy, making for some HOT hiking with minimalized clothing to maximize comfort.

It would appear the wildflowers have peaked, judging by what I saw today. I don't know if it qualifies as a wildflower, but the prickly pear cactus were busy blooming. They sprout out a nice big yellow flower that eventually turns into an edible piece of fruit. I bit into a prickly pear once. I can see if one were real hungry one might eat one.

May this year ends on a Sunday, which makes the first Monday of June come on the first day of June, which makes the next Canton First Monday Trading Days take place the last 4 days of this month due to First Mondays taking place the 4 days prior to the First Monday of any given month.

Someone got a new car and wants to take it on a short road trip and is trying to convince me to drive her new car to Canton at the end of the month. It sort of sounds fun, except, by the end of May it can get really really hot. My first time to First Monday was late in the month of April. And it was HOT. I was not as acclimated, then, to the Texas HEAT as I am now, but still, it was HOT. I was in Canton the next time in October with very pleasant temperatures, with the last time being in December, two years ago, when First Mondays was the busiest I'd ever seen it, due to Christmas. The December visit to Canton managed to be warm and muggy.

Texas weather can manage to be warm at any time of the year.

No comments: