Saturday, May 2, 2009

Early Voting For Clyde Picht

I forgot to mention, in the previous blogging about going to Tandy Hills Park today, that on the way to do some high humidity hiking I saw that the public library I drive by to get there was an Early Voting location. So, I told my Gang of Four Hikers that we were going to go do our part to overthrow that Ruling Junta I blogged about this morning.

The polling place was a bit lonely. There were two people manning the station.

Voting has gotten so high tech. Is it like this everywhere now? Or is it a Texas thing? First my driver's license was scanned. This somehow established me as a legit voter and not some convicted felon forever banned from voting. Then a machine printed up some paper. Pieces of paper went to various places, including one piece handed to me that had the number code I had to enter into the voting machine.

The Texas voting machine is like some sort of video game. You enter your code by spinning a dial til the right numbers show up. Hitting enter to choose each number. Then you spin the dial some more til you get to who you want to vote for. Then you hit enter.

Then you do some more spinning and you're asked to confirm that this is how you want to vote on your ballot. You then hit enter again and when the American flag waves in all its red, white and blue glory, you're done.

There were only 2 things to vote on on this ballot. For mayor and for city councilman. I do not recollect ever voting in Washington when there was not an awful lot to vote on, Initiatives, Referendums, Bond Issues, various people.

I'm thinking maybe this thing of having only 2 items to vote on might be part of the reason the voter turnout is so low. It's a little hard to get the masses worked up over something like overthrowing Fort Worth's Ruling Junta by tossing out its current corrupt mayor. One would think it wouldn't be hard to get the masses worked up to do that, but here in Fort Worth, it is.

Well, I've done my part. That's 4 confirmed votes for Clyde Picht.

No comments: