Thursday, May 28, 2009

Dallas Cowboy Stadium Drive-by Shooting Photos

Earlier today I blogged that the new Dallas Cowboy Stadium sort of had its Grand Opening on Wednesday. I'd not seen the stadium, up close, in a couple months, so, today, since I had to be in Arlington anyway, and on Collins Street, I thought I'd drive by and see if I could see those End Zone Plazas where Jerry Jones is going to charge die-hard Dallas Cowboy fans 30 bucks to stand outside the stadium, to sort of have a live, game day experience.

Well, they are still working on the landscaping around the stadium, but the stadium, itself, does appear to be finished. I could see the big end zone glass doors. That's what you're looking directly at in the picture. There is nice looking signage for all the parking lots. I saw at least a dozen parking lots. And new lamposts on Collins Street by the stadium.

A new pedestrian bridge across the creek that runs between the Cowboy Stadium and the Ballpark in Arlington, connects the Ballpark's parking lots with the Cowboy lots. I saw other new paved pedestrian trails along the creek.

There has been none of the hoped for boom in new businesses in the area around the stadium. It's still mostly run-down pawn shops, restaurants, apartments that have seen better days, an awful lot of buildings and businesses that are run-down and have seen better days.

I think the area around the new stadium may generate some negative press when the rest of the country checks out this futuristic giant space ship looking thing that's been plopped down in a run-down American neighborhood.

Speaking of Collins Street (info only locals will understand), the new Collins Street bridge over I-30 looks complete. The new Collins Street eastbound exit is open, so I exited there for the first time, which is the first time I've seen the new bridge up close. Arlington is building, I think, 3 new bridges across the freeway to better connect the entertainment district that is on both sides of the freeway, making it pedestrian friendly.

So, the new Collins Street Bridge is very wide. I think I saw maybe 8 car lanes. And two wide, covered, separated pedestrian sidewalks. Now, what struck me as odd is neither end of this new bridge is near the entertainment district stuff like Six Flags, the Ballpark, the Cowboy Stadium, Hurricane Harbor. None of it. I think Whole Foods may be easily accessed from the north side, maybe. But on the south side this pedestrian access takes you into a neighborhood and Center Street. It made no sense to me. But the bridge looks cool, even though it seems to be mislocated. I would have taken a picture, but traffic did not let that happen.

No comments: