Sunday, May 3, 2009

Great Depression 2.0, Nephew Joey, Wal-Mart & Spaghetti

One of my favorite Facebookers put spaghetti on my mind this morning. So, a bit after noon I headed to my nearby Wal-Mart Supercenter to get spaghetti fixin's.

Judging by the post-church throngs in Wal-Mart, today, it sure is hard to believe we are in the throes of the Great Depression 2.0.

In the Great Depression 1.0 there were food lines. In the Great Depression 2.0 there are grocery store lines.

I did not buy milk today. Nothing at Wal-Mart vexed me today.

Nephew Joey called a couple minutes ago to tell me he is heading south on June 20. South to Phoenix, not Texas. I'll see if I can get myself to Phoenix in June. By then it'll be real hot. But I should be used to it, being in Texas. But, Joey? Coming in from the frigid northwest?

Then again, the summer before I moved to Texas Joey and his big brother Jason took their favorite uncle to Las Vegas. Our second day there the paper had the news that the conditions were such that Death Valley might break its temperature record.

The nephews were game to go, so we headed to Death Valley. It did not break the record, but at the lowest spot in our hemisphere, Badwater, almost 300 feet below sea level, it was 124. So, I think Joey will do fine in a Phoenix summer.

So, that's my fine day today. That and the spaghetti was real good.

No comments: