Monday, May 11, 2009

(636) 925-1746 Sorry Wrong Number

Ever since the Dallas Morning News failed to bill me at the end of my 3 month pre-paid subscription, I have not received a final bill, but I have been receiving a daily call to my cell phone, no Caller I.D., but I do see the number, it being (636) 925-1746,

I generally don't answer calls when I don't know who is calling. I looked up the area code and saw it was in Missouri. I know no one in Missouri. No voice mail was left.

When today's daily call arrived, for the first time I flipped the phone open and said nothing. After about 20 seconds a male voice said my first name and then hung up.

So, I Googled the number. And what do I find? This number is used by some service that newspapers contract with to call people to get them to subscribe to their newspaper.

Two days after I stopped the Dallas Morning News, after they stopped me first, a Fort Worth Star-Telegram showed up on my doorstep. Prior to that I got a special offer, in the mail, from the Dallas Morning News, significantly cheaper than what their rep had offered me on the phone, that caused me to no longer want to get the paper.

So, which of the two papers is behind the annoying repeating phone calls?

It's been a week, I think, and I've not missed reading a morning paper. I feel like I still know what's going on in the world.

4 comments:

Tootsie Tonasket said...

After doing bussiness with several companies I`d get calls from other companies. Numbers I did not recall calling. They said they were coke a cola... Next time same # some other company. Now I use *67before I call any company. Or anyone I do not know. There are about 100 ladies in this state with my name. Who knows how many in the USA. Type your name in Google and see. Not sure where maybe people search? Here is the # for the Do Not Call Registry 888-382-1222. List your number so annoying companies can not call you. Well at least for a year.

Anonymous said...

I received a call from (636) 925-1746 this morning trying to sell me the Daily News in Los Angeles. I have written the president and publisher twice and hand delivered the letters, I do not want their papers yet they continue to call. Feel free to write her yourself and explain in very basic English that you don't want their papers or calls. I say basic English because apparently that are fairly stupid there.

Liz Gaier, Publisher and President
Daily News
21860 Burbank Blvd, Suite 200
Woodland Hills, CA 91367
(818) 713-3000

Durango said...

I've started getting calls from that number again. I believe mine are associated with the Dallas Morning News. When I see that number, I flip the phone open and don't say anything. Then flip it back shut.

Anonymous said...

Funny, I found you by googling the # that keeps calling me 5 times a day for several days. I do live in Missouri and every time I say hello I get hung up on. Then I got to sit and go through a long process of pushing #'s to have them remove my # from their calling list. In my case I know exactly which newspaper is doing it and if I wasn't trying to become a writer and not want to screw up any chance I get including a newspaper gig I would write to them a not so nice email. How do they expect you to renew if they hang up? And why would anyone pay for that kind of service? Just somethings we'll never know for sure I guess.