Thursday, September 4, 2008

Viruses, Noxious Weeds and Swimming

It's September 4 and things are looking good in Durango World.

The wind has stopped blowing after 2 days of the constant movement of air. The A/C has been turned off for over 24 hours with the windows open. The wind shooed away the vexing pollution that had the skies here a bit murky. This morning the sky is a fine shade of blue.

Overnight the temperature got down to a chilling 65.

So, this morning, at 7am, I thought I'd try and see if it was too cold to swim. It was a bit bracing getting in the water, sort of like a Washington lake in summer. But I quickly got comfy and swam around for a long long time.

I'd not been feeling too well since my return from Washington. Ironically, when I left here for Washington I was miserable too, with a strange sore throat and cough that I blamed on the pollution and the Level Orange Ozone Alerts. I figured it'd quickly clear up once I was breathing the clean Washington air, which ironically was not all that clear. It took about 2 weeks in Washington before the sore throat went away.

Which puts me in mind of viruses. I'm thinking sometimes you can have yourself a virus that's making you miserable or impacting you in a negative way and not even realize that it's a foreign object penetrating your space that's got you feeling yucky.

Or like you don't quite know why your garden isn't quite the lush thing you wish it would be. And then one day you realize it was a noxious weed that you thought was a flower that was making your garden be all sickly.

Anyway, it's a good thing to be back feeling good. I've got a real good anti-virus program running now and some topnotch weed killer. I intend to keep the invading pests at bay. Except I did have a slight sugar ant invasion this morning in the kitchen. Quickly controlled.

No comments: