Saturday, September 27, 2008

Paul Newman Killed By Lung Cancer at 83

I must be getting old. So many TV and movie stars who in my mind's eye are young, are actually old. Cloris Leachman in her early 80s. That surprised me.

And now to read that Paul Newman has died from lung cancer and that he was 83, well, both those facts surprised me.

Paul Newman was real good in several of my favorite movies. Like Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. He and Elizabeth Taylor were at their peak in that movie. Hud is another Paul Newman movie I've watched more than once.

I liked Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid when I saw it in a theater, long ago, but off the big screen and on to my TV, that movie did not entertain me on second viewing. But Paul Newman was good in it.

When I read it was lung cancer that was the cause of death I wondered if Paul Newman was a smoker. I figured not, due to him being behind all those healthy Newman's Own food products. But the photo would seem to indicate he smoked, maybe only in his younger years. Lung cancer is a nasty way to go.

I've gotta look up how old Elizabeth Taylor is...76. I've not seen her in several years.

No comments: