Sunday, September 21, 2008

Sunday Biking at River Legacy Park

I'm convinced there is something good happening in my zone of Texas. As in there is a big increase in the number of Texans going outside and getting exercise.

When I first discovered River Legacy Park in Arlington, soon after my exile to Texas, I was amazed such a nice park with such good trails had so few users. That is no longer the case. Today there where hundreds of Texans out biking, walking, roller blading and jogging.

A couple years ago River Legacy Park built a bridge across the Trinity River to connect to new paved trails and a new parking/picnic zone on the north side of the river. This added about 4 new miles to the trails. It was a good addition, going through old growth oak trees that I call the Emerald Forest of River Legacy. That's part of the new trail and the bridge across Hurricane Creek, in the photo.

The long range plan for this Metro zone is to supposedly have paved trails along the Trinity River running all the way between Dallas and Fort Worth. Fort Worth needs to add some more miles of trails to get to the Arlington trails. Dallas needs to head further west with its trails on the Trinity. Grand Prairie, that is a town between Dallas and Arlington, just opened a section of trail along the Trinity. So, piece by piece it is slowly coming together. Likely not to be completed in my lifetime, but maybe by the time my grandchildren, if I had any, are my age.

No comments: