Thursday, September 18, 2008

Charter Communication Internet Woes

Yesterday afternoon my Internet connection ceased being connected. I dread calling Charter Communication and eventually being connected to someone in the Philippines calling himself Joe and not speaking English very well.

Well. Yesterday's call brought fresh aggravation. After I'd entered all the identifying info I was told there were outages all over Alabama. I'm not in Alabama.

Then I was told to hold for very important information about my area. A woman's voice came on telling me the date and time. And then told me due to Hurricane Ike my area was experiencing widespread outages. She then gave me a number to call to find out when service would be restored in my area.

Well, I'm not in the Hurricane Ike damage area. So, I hit a button. A voice told me I really needed to listen to the message. And then it played again. I went through 3 rounds of this when another voice asked if I'd like to speak to a customer support technician. Hit '1' if you do.

I hit '1'. Almost instantly a woman answered speaking perfect English. She asked identifying info including the last 4 digits of my SS #. Then she told me there were problems in West Fort Worth. I'm in East Fort Worth I told her.

She then told me she saw no problem with my connection. She then wanted me to reset the modem. Had already done that. About then the connection started working again.

Before I got off the phone I asked if she was in the Philippines. No, she said she was in Florida. She said people are often surprised not to get a Philipino.

So, this morning the Internet went out again. I dreaded it, but I called again. This time I didn't get the Hurricane Ike message. Instantly got a real person on the line. An American. Is Charter improving customer service? So, someone is supposed to arrive to fix the connection between 2 and 4 this afternoon, calling an hour before to confirm.

We'll see how that goes. In the meantime, I'm using Miss Puerto Rico's Internet Connection. It's DSL and I don't believe it has ever been down.

No comments: