Friday, September 19, 2008

Super Bowl Buffet in Fort Worth

It has now been a month since I escaped the verbal and physical abuse Tacoma inflicted on me. And the conspiratorial attempts to fatten me up.

A month of being back where everyone treats me nice has restored me to my former pre-traumatic stress syndrome state of mind. As in I'm happy again.

Just in the last week I've had a nice lady from Dallas tell me that talking to me lifted a burden from her shoulders and made her feel so good she had to call her mom to tell her. In the past month I've been asked if I'm a newspaper columnist and have twice been told I should write a book. I've been told I've lifted the spirits of an Ike survivor. I've been told I'm too easy-going. These are all things I would never hear in Washington. I know really nice people in Texas.

But then, today, a bad thing happened here in Fort Worth. Someone here must be thinking I'm too skinny, just like those who tried to fatten me up in Tacoma. I was taken to the Super Bowl Buffet against my will. This is across the street from where I live. You don't drive there unless it is too hot or too cold or raining or snowing or ice storming. Today was none of those, so we walked.

The oddly named Super Bowl Buffet used to have an even odder name when it was called Super Asia Buffet. It's the best Chinese Buffet I've been too. I've been to a lot of them. Real good sushi too. I ate only the healthy stuff and avoided the deep-fried shrimp and other goodies of a like sort. I'll no more gain weight from this lunch indulgence than any of the attempts to pork me up when I was up north.

Tomorrow I'm going to Sprouts. That's my favorite grocery store. Tacoma needs a Sprouts Farmers Market. There really are no good grocery stores in Tacoma. There is one the Tacoma locals think is good, called Metro, and it is just awful. Way over priced for bad looking produce in a dinky store with narrow aisles that reminded me of Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market. I shouldn't say there are no good grocery stores in Tacoma, there is a Trader Joe's. But I didn't get to go there. They do have a Top Foods which is like a downscale version of its parent Haggens store, but it's no Haggens. Tacoma needs a Haggens. And a couple Super Wal-Marts.

No comments: