Monday, June 25, 2018

Leaving Wind Damage Behind To Hike Wichita Falls Nature Area

Wichita Bluff Nature Area Overlook
Last night around three in the morning my location was hit by what must have been extreme micro bursts of high velocity wind.

This off and on wind blasting last for about a half an hour. During the course of the blasting power flickered off and on multiple times.

By light of day I found that my patio furniture had been blown asunder, along with the door mat and one planter.

Nearby neighbors appear to have been wind blasted too.

However, driving away from my location I saw no wind damage, other than in my immediate area. Unlike the windstorm of a couple weeks ago which wreaked havoc every where I looked.

So, I left my abode this morning, heading to the Wichita Bluff Nature Area expecting to see lots of evidence of Mother Nature going rogue. But I saw nothing of the sort once I exited my parking area.

I thought some hiking was in order today in preparation for next month's possible mountain hiking in Arizona. I say possible because such will likely not occur unless some freakishly cold air somehow blows into the Valley of the Sun.

Today at the Wichita Bluff Nature Area I made note of the sign you see below.


These type signs appear along the Circle Trail, frequently, showing mile markers and where one currently is located.

However, on this particular Circle Trail sign I quickly saw there was an informational problem. We shall go in for a closer look. See if you can spot the problem.


Likely if you are not a Wichita Falls local, or are a local not familiar with the Circle Trail, you might not be able to spot the problem. I shall spot it for you. As you can see, the area in green is the Wichita Buff Nature Area. The location of this sign is near that 20 mile mark, near the north entry to the Wichita Bluff Nature Area, a short distance from the parking lot.

However, the "YOU ARE HERE" on the sign is telling you that where you are is about a mile to the east, due west of Loop 11, on one of the three sections of the Circle Trail not yet completed, the completion of which has been slightly stymied by voters saying NO to a Circle Trail completions proposal on the May 5 Bond Election.

All the other instances of this type Circle Trail signage has been accurate with the YOU ARE HERE info. I wonder why no one noticed the mistake with this one before installing the sign?

I feel it my duty as the Official Wichita Falls Convention Center & Visitor's Bureaus Outdoor Adventure Guru to point out such things...

No comments: