Saturday, September 6, 2008

Weed Attack at Tandy Hills Park

It's in the 90s again today here in Fort Worth. I went swimming real early. It was not in the 90s then. It was barely in the 70s and the water wasn't much warmer than the air.

By a bit past noon it was hot enough to go on a hike. So, I went to the Tandy Hills. It's my favorite place to hike. When I discovered this hilly place way back in October of last year I thought there'd be no way it'd be hikeable when the super hot days of summer arrived.

But, the heat hasn't stopped the Tandy Hills hiking. A couple times I have gotten pretty much blinded by water oozing out of every pore. I was in icy Tacoma when they had a string of 100 degree plus days here. I guess I'm glad I missed that.

There is a sort of annoying addition to the Tandy Hills trails that popped up while I was up north. That being these giant weeds or mini-trees with little white flowers on them. These things are right at the edge of the trail in places, some of them over 6 feet tall. Today it was a bit windy and that gets these weedy mini-trees thrashing about. It's like being whipped by a bunch of skinny straws.

There was one sort of odd scene at Tandy Hills today. A mom and dad and 4 or 5 kids were on the trails. What made it odd is one of the kids was being pulled in one of those little red wagons, I forget their name. Radio Flyer, is that it? The Tandy Hills trails are not conducive to such a vehicle. But they were on the downside of a bit of steep terrain when I came across them.

No comments: