Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Six Killed in Skagit County Shootings

I check my old local papers online each morning. One being the Seattle P-I, the other being the Skagit Valley Herald. This morning I was startled to see a headline in the P-I saying "Deputy, 5 others die in shooting rampage, Suspect in custody; victims at multiple locations north of Mount Vernon."

Mount Vernon was the town I moved from when my exile in Texas began. I was back in Mount Vernon last month and blogged about it. I don't recollect there being a murder spree like this in the Mount Vernon/Skagit Valley zone before.

The only victim's identified by this morning are the Skagit County Deputy Sheriff, Anne Jackson. Another policeman, a state trooper, Troy Giddings, was shot in the arm and drove himself to the hospital.

The shooter's name is Issac Zamora. He began shooting people near Alger in northern Skagit County. One body was found near the dead Deputy Sheriff. Two construction workers were killed.

Zamora drove down Interstate 5 towards Mount Vernon, shooting at people as he drove. One of those driving on I-5 was among the 6 killed.

Interstate 5 was shut down as police chased Zamora. Zamora exited I-5 at Kincaid Street and drove to the Skagit County Sheriff's Office building where he turned himself in.

Zamora was on a police watch list and was known to have mental stability issues.

Read the Seattle P-I article here.

No comments: