Monday, October 5, 2009

Sleepless In Fort Worth & Catching Common Carp at Fosdic Lake

I have been awake since around 3 this morning. I gave up on the sleeping concept by 4.

I'm tired.

At half past 5 I went down to the pool. The air temperature was 56. The water felt colder than the air. After 5 minutes I was not liking being cold. So, I got in the Hot Tub.

The Hot Tub felt way too HOT. After about 10 minutes I got back in the pool to cool off. This time the cool pool did not feel cold. I swam for around 15 minutes. I was back in climate controlled comfort before 6am.

That is Fosdic Lake at Oakland Lake Park in the picture, a bit before noon. As you can see we are being a bit gray here in North Texas. I needed to go on a walk. My backache woe is still not totally gone away, but it's a lot better. And a walk helps a lot.

I think the fish warning sign at Fosdic Lake has been changed again. Yesterday I mentioned I am a fan of goofy messages on signs.

The sign says...

EATING FISH FROM FOSDIC LAKE

The City of Fort Worth advises against eating common carp from Fosdic Lake. Recent test results from the Department of State Health Services (DSHS) revealed a pollutant in common carp.

The City of Fort Worth and DSHS conclude that eating other fish from Fosdic Lake poses no apparent hazard to public health.

Tips for preparing fish to eat:
  • Clean fish as soon as possible
  • Remove and throw away the head and guts
  • Fillet fish and cut away fat and skin
  • Grill, bake or broil your fish and let the fat drain away
Now, doesn't that make you want to go fishing for dinner at Fosdic Lake?

2 comments:

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

There's a bit of sleeplessness going around, couldn't get to sleep until well after 3AM...then up at 5AM, big sigh.

Why are the Common Carp polluted in Fort Worth and not in Balmorhea? Why does the pollution only affect the Carp and not the other fish?

Durango said...

I'm guessing Balmorhea does not have a lot of waste water draining into it. I think maybe the carp are bottom feeders, which must be where the pollutants are.