Friday, October 2, 2009

Hiking Easy Pass In The North Cascades

Fall is the time of year I am most prone to being homesick for my old location in Washington. By now the Cascade mountain high country has had freezing temperatures, which the result being that you can now hike without being covered with bug spray.

Before the first freeze you can find wild blueberries that are the tastiest blueberries you'll ever have. You'll still find edible berries after a freeze, but the texture will be altered by the freezing and thawing. You also may be competing with some bears for the berries.

In the picture you are looking at Easy Pass. Despite the name it's a fairly strenuous hike, with an elevation gain of 2,800 feet. The trailhead is past Newhalem near milepost 151 on Highway 20 in the Okanogan National Forest. I'm pretty sure that the trail soon crosses into North Cascades National Park.

It was a fairly short drive from my abode in Washington to views like you see in the picture. I looked out my kitchen window to a view of the Mount Baker volcano. When I look out my kitchen window now I see a Barnett Shale gas drilling operation. But no mountains or volcanoes.

1 comment:

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

Hang in there...I got a call from relatives in Colorado, they've gotten their first snow which means the Aspens will be turning!