Thursday, October 8, 2009

Fosdic Turtles Like High Humidity While My Eyes Burn With Morning Sickness

That is a herd of Fosdic Lake turtles and the bird they worship, sitting on a log. I like turtles. I think they may be the only reptile that I like.

Plus, they make really good soup. There is no warning not to eat the Fosdic Lake turtles, like there is not to eat the Fosdic Lake carp.

Due to some rain and temperatures in the 80s it is very humid out there. I'll go check with WeatherBug to see what the Heat Index is. Okay. Checked it. Real temperature 84.5. With the high humidity Heat Index having it feel like it is 89.5.

Which explains why I overheated slowly walking the paved trail around Fosdic Lake looking for spare change on the ground. I found 12 cents and 4 golf balls. A very lucrative walk. Plus that turtle I caught for lunch.

Two of my corespondents are knocked out today, ailing at home. I think the symptoms sound like morning sickness, but this is being vehemently denied. My secondary diagnosis is poisoning from exposure to pollution spewing from the thousands of Barnett Shale Natural Gas wells in this urban zone experiment to find out if such heavy duty poking into Mother Earth, in an area where millions make their home, is a healthy, sane thing to be doing.

Every day there seems to be fresh reports of Citizens of the Shale (that's what we love to call ourselves. Or was that a Chesapeake Energy ad slogan? I don't remember) who are claiming that fumes from the gas wells are making them sick.

Currently I seem to be having a constant kicked in the gut feeling. This could be purely psychosomatic. Or I may be suffering from the male version of morning sickness. Or it may be being caused by the air that I breathe. I am also having a burning sensation in my eyes that is similar to what I experienced decades ago in Los Angeles, back when the LA smog was thick and orange.

So, that's the hell I'm living this Thursday in Texas. Turtles, burning eyes, steamy heat and I'm 12 cents richer. No wonder I'm such a happy guy.

2 comments:

Don Young said...

Allergies. What you need is a long sweaty hike at Tandy Hills with an air conditioned apartment afterwards. I'm heading out this afternoon to get some pics of the soon to be famous Witchy Tree of Tandy Hills for my October Prairie Notes. With luck the cold front will hit about that time.

Durango said...

The Tandy Hills are dried out enough to hike? I wish I'd known, I would have gone there today. Looking forward to seeing pics of the famous Witchy Tree. Because I don't know where it is.